Part-Time Swim Instructor to the Upward Bound Math-Science Program
Staff - Hourly
Upward Bound Match
Fiscal Year Renewal
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work:
RAMAPO COLLEGE OF NEW JERSEY:
Mission: Ramapo College of New Jersey is New Jersey's Public Liberal Arts College, dedicated to providing students a strong foundation for a lifetime of achievement. The College is committed to academic excellence through interdisciplinary and experiential learning, and international and intercultural understanding. Ramapo College emphasizes teaching and individual attention to all students. We promote diversity, inclusiveness, sustainability, student engagement, and community involvement.
Established in 1969, Ramapo College of New Jersey has an enrollment of 5,000 students and offers bachelor's degrees in the arts, business, humanities, social sciences and the sciences, as well as in professional studies, which include nursing and social work. In addition, Ramapo College offers courses leading to teacher certification at the elementary and secondary levels. The College also offers eight graduate programs as well as articulated programs with Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, New York Chiropractic College, New York University College of Dentistry, SUNY State College of Optometry and New York College of Podiatric Medicine. The College is ranked as fifth in the Best Regional Public Universities North category by U.S. News & World Report.
Undergraduate students choose to concentrate their studies in one of five schools with more than 539 course offerings and 36 academic programs. Ramapo College boasts an average student/faculty ratio of 18:1 and average class size of 23, affording students the opportunity to develop close ties to the College's exceptional faculty.
This is a part-time, hourly position.
Reporting to the Residential Director of the Upward Bound Program, this person would provide swim instruction at the Bradley Center Swimming Pool for one hour per week to the participants of the Upward Bound Math Science Program during the six-week summer residential program.
- Providing one hour of competent, safe, and interactive swim instruction in the Bradley Center Pool to at most 10 Upward Bound Math Science Participants per class for the 6- week summer session from late June - early August
- Teaching students to swim through demonstration and engagement on techniques for safe swimming and standard swim strokes
- Plan and effectively organize class time for maximum practice
- Teach with encouragement and positive reinforcement
- Ensuring the safety and well-being of participants while in the water during swim class
- Discussing progress or problems with the academic director after each class
- Must have experience as a Swim Instructor
- Must 18 years of age or older
- Must be friendly, patient, and approachable
- Life Guard and CPR certification preferred
ADDITIONAL KNOWLEDGE, SKIILS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to instruct swimming lessons
- Knowledge of swimming strokes and appropriate age-related teaching levels
- Ability to work well with teenagers from urban, inner-city school districts.
- Experience working with diverse populations.
- Sensitivity to individuals with a fear of water or swimming
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
Ramapo College is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Ramapo has a long history of advocating, advising, and supporting diversity, equity, and inclusiveness. Examples can be found in its mission statement, strategic plans, degree and course offerings, community outreach programs, the Diversity Action Committee offerings, and the other numerous diversity conferences and programs. Ramapo's commitment to diversity and inclusion is infused across all facets of the College; where the environment is welcoming, dedicated to social justice, respectful of freedom of expression, focused on educating and having an ongoing conversation regarding cultural competence and the benefits and importance of diversity.