| Join Harborview Medical Center for an outstanding leadership opportunity as Assistant Nurse Manager (RN3) /Operations Lead with the Neurosciences ICU. |
Under general direction by the Nurse Manager, the Assistant Nurse Manager utilizes the nursing process to prescribe, prioritize, delegate, and provide safe, therapeutic allocation of nursing resources to patients/families. The ANM makes independent judgments, decisions, and take action regarding a wide range of routine and complex staffing and unit workflow issues. The ANM collaborates with appropriate disciplines to coordinate continuity of patient care from admission through discharge in support of the medical and nursing plans of care.
The ANM performs specific leadership functions related to clinical practice, education, and/or management as delegated by and in collaboration with the Nurse Manager. The ANM provides leadership for unit and departmental activities that promote:
Delivery of quality nursing care
Effective problem solving and communication
In addition, the ANM Operations Lead (ANMO) provides support to the unit management team for the assurance of a strong workflow processes and infrastructures that promote efficient and effective quality patient care. Support is provided to all staff any day and any shift as determined by need/demand. Emphasizing patient safety, staff safety, organizational integration, and service excellence the ANMO provides leadership and resources that promote the following:
Effective staffing schedules that take into account staff experience, mix, preference, and core matrix.
Efficient and effective timesheet/payroll management processes and practices
Timely clinical problem solving and communication of clinical issues at all levels (peer, staff, management, physician)
Effective interdisciplinary and interdepartmental communication, collaboration and service coordination using TeamSTEPPS methodology.
Effective educational resource for patient care.
Effective integration of new technology and organizational initiatives
Effective management of staff practice and professional behaviors using effective interpersonal skills andJust Culture methodology
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (see skills)
Clinical expertise in specialty
Strong customer service focus
Demonstrated ability to organize and lead project teams
Demonstrated strong charge nurse competencies
Knowledge of hospital environment and healthcare trends
Advanced written and verbal communication
Demonstrated ability to analyze practice issues
Flexibility in meeting workload fluctuations
Age related competencies for the populations cared for on the unit
Staff Competency Assessment and Development
1. Partners with ANME to coordinate orientation and evaluation of newly hired staff.
2. Evaluates orientation participants' baseline attention to training, demonstrated skills, attitude and philosophy fit with HMC missions and values; records and reports concerns to unit managers.
3. Collaborates with ANME in the development and validation of unit specific competencies.
4. Evaluates assigned staff at prescribed intervals (6 months, annual) after approval by manager.
5. Provides just in time feedback to staff regarding clinical, interpersonal, and communication performance
6. Involves manager for staff who resist feedback or who fail to improve performance.
7. Participates in interviewing and makes recommendations on candidates for hire being mindful of baseline clinical, behavioral, and communication competencies.
Staff Continuing Education
1. Promotes and supports a high functioning environment that fosters continuing learning and professional development.
2. Assists in the coordination of educational offerings designed to enhance the delivery of quality care and safe practices. (In-services, CE, vendor equipment education).
3. Partners with ANME to plans, implements and evaluates educational offerings designed to enhance staff leadership and operational decision making (Charge, Preceptor)
4. Assists nursing staff in identifying and meeting their ongoing educational goals.
5. Participates in programs that support staff education and development (CPR instructor, core curriculum, ANM orientation, and consortium).
6. Participates in the development of educational modules and training plans.
7. Participates in ongoing area specific training (e.g. skills days)
1. Performs charge nurse duties
2. Facilitates charge nurse training, mentors, and evaluates effectiveness of unit based charge nurses
3. Role models collaboration and best practice communications
4. Acts as Primary controller of the unit schedule, ensuring best staffing every shift based on skill mix, experience and core matrix adherence
5. Partners with unit Administrative Coordinator in ensuring staff time cards are completed on time, legible and correct.
6. Unit based lead for operational, HR, Payroll initiatives
Consultation/Support of Quality/Safety Priorities
7. Promotes the use of central educational, quality, and patient safety resources (CNE/CNS consultants) to support quality patient care
8. Participates in departmental policy/ procedure development and interpretation for members of the heath care team
9. Facilitates and Best Practice Committee and promotes evidenced based nursing practice
10. Acts as unit lead in coordination, implementation, and tracking of hospital, unit, and interdisciplinary based quality initiatives.
11. Coordinates and Performs audits to demonstrate unit staff performance in selected metrics
Internal Relations /Teamwork
1. Promotes a healthy work environment
2. Resolves conflicts tactfully, flexibly and diplomatically
3. Demonstrates ability to compromise, cooperate, and negotiate appropriately.
4. Demonstrate maturity, poise, responsiveness and judgment in day to day activities.
5. Collaborates and promotes team building with all disciplines and departments.
6. Inspires teams and individuals to give their best to achieve desired patient, team and organizational outcomes
7. Creates an environment that is conductive to staff growth, development, and satisfaction
8. Has a strong reputation as a competent, quality resource.
9. Respects and welcomes diversity in staff and team.
Organization/Time Management/Decision Making/Leadership
1. Establishes effective work priorities, methods and project flow
2. Meets deadlines, project goals, and follows up on staff/clinical/customer satisfaction issues in a timely manner.
3. Displays resourcefulness and innovation in decision making, problem solving, and trainings
4. Maintains accessibility, response and follow through to off shift and weekend staff
5. Assumes responsibility for own professional learning needs including attendance at relevant educational offerings, completion of annual evaluation and competencies.
6. Participates and provides leadership to organizational committees, taskforces, and work groups.
7. Demonstrates ability to consider the impact of decisions and actions on the overall organizational mission and goals
8. Models service excellence in daily practice.
1. Maintains a safe environment, identifies and reports all safety related issues to the proper departments.
2. Uses HMC policy and procedures, reference manuals and qualified resources for guidance
3. Responds appropriately to emergency situations and drills
4. Takes the lead in ensuring unit staff practices are compliant with regulatory agencies and standards.
5. Intervenes to address illegal /unethical /unprofessional professional practice of any member of the health care team
6. Promotes practices and decisions that reduce human error and promote staff/patient safety
7. Participates in development and implementation of quality assessment and improvement programs within the department and across units/specialties
8. Unit lead in the identifies and implementation of ways to support a cost effective environment
9. Unit lead in initiation and maintenance of process for unit based 5S and other process improvement work
10. Participates in the preparation and process of regulatory surveys
Patient Care Management
1. Maintains expert clinical knowledge base related to clinical area and practice standard for assigned areas.
2. Maintains appropriate age related competencies for assigned areas.
3. Support, practices and teaches research based nursing practice.
4. Acts as a timely resource to staff in problem solving involving clinical issues
5. Participates in clinical benchmarking, studies, and projects that promote improvement of patient rights, safety, and comfort
6. Collaborates with relevant other clinical disciplines to assess and address the needs of patient population served.
7. Maintains professional relationship through memberships in professional organizations, networking, and high professional visibility (certification, speaking, publishing, etc)