The Department of Intercollegiate Athletics is seeking applications for the position of Learning Specialist. This position will implement academic programs that provide support to student-athletes with accommodation needs and/or disabilities. This position will also report to the Associate Athletic Director of Student-Athlete Development.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will:
- Provide academic support to student-athletes who have diagnosed learning disabilities and/or accommodation needs
- Assist with the overall evaluation process of student-athletes.
- Coordinate and facilitate initial screening and diagnostic testing if needed of new student-athletes, and facilitate testing of current student-athletes in consultation with a licensed professional.
- Create goals and outcome objectives with student-athletes based on assessment that can be monitored over time.
- Evaluate documentation to determine best practices to provide academic support to client student-athletes.
- Provide training to the academic counseling staff, tutors, educational counselors and instructional assistants in order to best accommodate each student-athlete's educational needs.
- Serve as the liaison between the Student-Athlete Development Staff and the WVU Office of Accessibility Services.
- Perform other job related duties as assigned by Assistant Athletic Director for Student-Athlete Development.
- Master's degree, preferably in education, special education, speech/language pathology, school psychology, clinical psychology or related field
- Minimum of three (3) years of relevant experience in secondary or post-secondary educational setting
- Demonstrated experience in reviewing educational evaluations and assessing individualized learning needs
- Knowledge of a wide range of learning strategies and study skills development
- Knowledge and training in working with individuals with diagnosed learning disabilities, including ADHD, learning disorders, communication disorders and/or processing disorders
- Demonstrated ability to interact with individuals from diverse social, cultural, economic and educational backgrounds
- Knowledge of higher education system and of counseling/advising of student-athletes preferably at the NCAA Division I level
- Demonstrated knowledge of Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) guidelines and regulations
- Background check
- Cover letter
- Three professional references
First consideration will be given to those who apply by May 1, 2017.
At West Virginia University, we pride ourselves on a tireless endeavor for achievement. We are home to some of the most passionate, innovative minds in the country who push their limits for the sake of progress, constantly moving the world forward. Our students, faculty and staff make this institution one of the best out there, and we are proud to stand as one voice, one university, one WVU. Find out more about your opportunities as a Mountaineer at http://hr.wvu.edu/.
West Virginia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff and students, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans.
Job Posting: Apr 17, 2017
Posting Classification: FE/AP
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes