About Virginia Tech:
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
The successful candidate will apply specialized knowledge and concepts to the completion of assigned projects to meet the needs and requirements of the Virginia Cyber Range. Projects will involve designing, developing, and troubleshooting purpose-built micro-services architecture proponents within a cloud-based environment. Responsibilities will range from working independently on multiple complex projects to serving as a technical consultant or a leader of projects, typically with strict deadlines and heavy workloads as other duties assigned. May provide consultation and advice on major implementations ensuring that services are available and accessible. Collaborates effectively with team members to ensure success of projects and systems.
The successful candidate will have the ability to keep detailed records via a CI/CD software development pipeline. The successful candidate must have the ability to communicate and interact with diverse clientèle, a strong work ethic and organization skills to work independently with minimal supervision and adapt quickly to changing computer environments.
- B.S. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, related field, and/or equivalent education and work experience
- Understanding of common web application architectures in an IAAS (Infrastructure as a Service) model
- Experience developing with Linux based environments including Debian and variants (i.e. Ubuntu, Mint etc), RedHat and variants (CentOS, Fedora, etc)
- Proficiency with DevOps tooling (Jenkins, Ansible|Chef|Puppet|Salt, GIT, Docker, etc.)
- Working knowledge with scripting and automation tools/languages (Bash, Python, Perl, PHP etc)
- Experience establishing and/or working within a Continuous Integration and Automation pipeline to develop and deploy software following industry best practices
- Strong ability to troubleshoot complex issues ranging from system resources to application stack traces.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience with software deployment in a large scale environment, as well as the ability and experience to understand and modify enterprise-directed design decisions
- Experience with developing in commodity cloud provider environments such as AWS, GCE, Azure, etc.
- Advanced working knowledge administering common open source databases like MySQL, Postgres, MongoDB, etc.
- High level understanding of SQL, relational data stores and NoSQL technologies
- Advanced working knowledge in developing tooling for deployment, monitoring and operations of micro-services architecture based software products
- Experience with Mesos, Kubernetes, and/or CoreOS a plus
- Experience with modern content management systems such as Drupal, Wordpress or Joomla
- Well versed in setup and management of webservers (Apache/NginX)
- Well versed with cloud based environment setup and development with products such as VPC, ELB, ECS, Lambda, SQS, SNS, API Gateway, etc on Amazon’s AWS.
Employee Category: Administrative and Professional Faculty
Appointment Type: Restricted
Tenure Status: Non-Tenure Track
Percent Employment: Full-time
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
Review Date: 05/01/2017