Part-time for a Low Vision Rehabilitation Specialist. Currently, a minimum of two days a week (M-F) with flexibility and potential to develop into a full-time position.
The candidate will be employed by Low Vision Services, PLC (www.lowvisionservices.org), an independent practice owned and operated by Suleiman Alibhai, O.D. This is an opportunity to become involved with a highly respected organization, which is strongly supported by an extensive network of local ophthalmologists who refer patients to Prevention Of Blindness Society’s Low Vision Learning Centers in Alexandria, VA and Washington DC.
Prevention of Blindness Society of Metropolitan Washington’s Low Vision Learning Centers are located in Alexandria, VA and downtown Washington DC. Founded in 1936, the Prevention of Blindness Society of Metropolitan Washington (POB) www.youreyes.org, is the largest local, non-profit agency of its kind in the United States. It is dedicated to the improvement and preservation of sight by providing services, education, advocacy, and innovation. Low Vision Learning Centers facilitate the provision of comprehensive low vision evaluations and services to a large, diverse population in the Metropolitan Washington DC area.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The candidate should be comfortable with patients of all ages. Experience in vision rehabilitation and prescription of low vision devices is essential, in addition to familiarity with an interdisciplinary model working with occupational therapists, vision rehabilitation teachers, and orientation and mobility specialists.
- Comprehensive low vision examinations, including visual field and contrast sensitivity testing, as well as trial frame refractionsInstruction in the use of optical and non-optical devices; video magnifiers, and adaptive computer technology
- Prescription of customized low vision optical devices: bioptics, high-plus reading glasses
- Follow-up care as needed, including additional low vision instruction and training
- Introduction to and referrals to other vision rehabilitation providers and services
- Use of electronic medical record keeping system and billing appropriate CPT and ICD-10 codes in a medical model of vision rehabilitation
- Participation in educational lectures to the public as part of POB’s Macular Degeneration Network, Stargardt’s Support Group, and other fund-raising activities related to the low vision rehabilitation program