The Better Government Association (BGA) seeks a full-time Policy Manager/Director. This position plays a lead role in the development, coordination, and implementation of the BGA’s policy agenda. The Policy Manager/Director will report directly to the BGA’s President & CEO.
The BGA is a nonprofit organization that combines investigative journalism, advocacy, and civic engagement to promote good government at the local, county, and state levels in Illinois. Its offices are located in Chicago.
- The Policy Manager/Director will represent and facilitate the BGA’s strategies to inform and influence local and state decision-making on public policies affecting the delivery of good government.
- Either through its independent policy agenda, or by building on the original work of the BGA’s Investigative Team (which conducts deep journalistic investigations of corruption, mismanagement, inefficiency, inequality and lack of transparency at all levels of government), the Policy Manager/Director will initiate policy campaigns, monitor and analyze policy proposals, research best practices, and support ally organizations, BGA staff and volunteers in planning and executing sound policy advocacy.
- The Policy Manager/Director is directly involved in the management and coordination of multi?issue campaigns that involve players from multiple sectors, which include community and labor organizations, governmental officials, and academia.
- The Policy Manager/Director will handle government relations and public policy issues; collaborate with allied groups; conduct education and training events; schedule and facilitate meetings with legislators, civic leaders, and other key stakeholders involved with identified issues; and leverage BGA’s suite of digital advocacy tools (Website, online targeting of public officials, social media) to execute campaigns.
- The position also includes robust communication of the BGA’s Policy positions on TV, radio, in print, on-line and through public appearances.