NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Sr Staff Nurse.
In this role, the successful candidate Carries out patient care responsibilities with emphasis on decision-making related to the steps inthe nursing process to include assessment, diagnosis, identification of expected outcomes, planning, implementation and evaluation. Provides competent, safe and compassionate care based on established NYUHC Patient Care and Nursing Standards. As a member of the interdisciplinary healthcare team, formulates the initial plan of care with the provider (physician or nurse practitioner) and collaborates with them to implement a comprehensive patient-centered plan of care to achieve expected outcomes; utilizes principles of assignment and delegation consistent with the NY State Nurse Practice Act.
- Collects, assesses and documents patient healthcare data. Uses innovative strategies to direct the interdisciplinary team, patient/family to identify a plan of care and outcomes that are realistic and measurable. Uses innovative methods to collect, direct and prioiritize care based upon data collected. Documents assessment and reassessment in medical records.
- Leads interventions in the coordination of patient care in a safe, timely and appropriate manner. Applies, promotes, and oversees the escalation process. Considers needs and behaviors of specific patient age groups and cultural groups in all patient care activities. Documents interventions per hospital standard.
- Educates the patient/family regarding health status and established plan of care. Determines learning needs of the patient/family. Implements an educational plan. Collaborates with the interdisciplinary team to modify expected outcomes, and engages clinicial experts to modify the education plan. Documents learning outcomes of patient/family; evaluates and revises education plan. (Include utilization of EHR education tools)
- Evaluates the patient's progress towards expected outcomes. Involves the patient/family and interdisciplinary team in the evaluation process. Assesses for potential and actual variations. Responds to variations in patient's progress by modifing the interventions. Reports documents and evaluates the effectiveness of the intervention(s).
- Coordinates and directs unit activities to create a healing, humane and caring environment through innovative activities.
- Leads unit projects to improve unit throughput efficiencies and metrics. (Include unit throughput measures e.g. DBN, door to triage, assign to occupy, first case starts, room turnover)
- Complies with unit based and organizations professional standards, New York State Nurse Practice Act and regulations of relevant outside agencies, e.g., NY State Department of Health, The Joint Commission, regulatory requirements etc.
- Analyzes delegation practices to ensure activities are followed through. Demonstrates ability to differentiate those activities which are in scope of professional nursing practice, and those that may be delegated to ancillary staff.
- Complies with annual education and mandatory/regulatory requirements (Include learning transcript and supportive documentation).
- Serves as a support, resource and preceptor for nursing staff and students. Seeks opportunities to develop other staff.
- Engages in self-assessment and peer review; utilizes resources to meet individual learning need and promote professional development in clinical practice.
- Adheres to patient care and nursing standards in care delivery, and uses clinical practice guidelines (CPG). Recommends new and/or revised care standards into practice.
- Volnteers to lead unit practice councils (UPC) activities. Utilizes the practice council structure to critically appraise and influence practice (Include supportive evidence).
- Leads improvement efforts to achieve organizational goals within the quality and safety performance improvement plan, (QSPIP) and outperform benchmarks for nurse sensitive quality indicators (Include unit based quality measures e.g. HAPU, CAUTI, CLABSI, Falls).
To qualify you must have a Licensure: Current Registered Professional Nurse in New York.Education: Baccalaureate degree in Nursing required; Fluent written and spoken English language skills..
Required Licenses: Registered Nurse License-NYS
Membership in pertinent professional organizations preferred.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.