AltSchool’s mission is to enable all children to reach their potential. We are a public benefit corporation and a Certified B Corporation, bringing together a unique partnership of educators, engineers, and researchers to create a proprietary learning platform guided by the most comprehensive body of current educational research. AltSchool’s platform is designed to empower schools everywhere to offer personalized, whole-child learning for each student, and to enable teachers to truly understand each child—both deep and wide—so they can develop and learner-centric environment that helps each child thrive.
Headquartered in San Francisco, AltSchool currently operates a network of schools in California and New York, which serve as learning labs for ongoing research and development. Starting fall 2017, that network of schools will expand to include the first cohort of pilot partner schools using the AltSchool platform of products and services. We are backed by many key investors including Founders Fund, Andreessen Horowitz, and Mark Zuckerberg & Priscilla Chan’s donor-advised fund at the Silicon Valley Community Foundation, who are committed to help achieve the goal of making the best education the most accessible.
The Education team is at the forefront of pioneering change through our schools and technology platform. Our educators are the experts in our students’ learning, and they direct the personalization of what, where, when, and how they learn. AltSchool educators customize their own classroom’s curriculum, emphasizing both academic rigor and social emotional learning. Educators are also part of a network of professionals who provide regular support, feedback, and opportunities for collaboration. Building a 21st-century Education team translates to the opportunity for year-round work, more flexible time-off, and creating technology to enhance and empower teaching and learning. We also rely on our educators’ critical collaboration on the direction and development of AltSchool’s proprietary technology products.
As the Spanish educator at AltSchool, you will be involved in the planning of projects, field trips, special events and evaluation of the curriculum. You also will attend regular team meetings to discuss materials, student progress and teaching strategies. Our program is communication based and we are looking for someone who is enthusiastic and able to connect the Spanish language to students’ daily lives.
This role is split between AltSchool Fort Mason and AltSchool Yerba Buena and will involve approximately 18 hours/week of student-facing teaching in both the core day (with middle school students grades 5-8) and our after-school program (with lower school students grades TK-4). Daily travel between the two schools will be required. This is a full-time exempt position.
- Lead a mixed-age and ability class along with your teaching team members:
- Design or customize experiential, project-based learning arcs for the class to create activities that are relevant and real-world
- Curate individual learning experiences based on each student’s abilities, needs, and learning approach to construct and exhibit core competencies
- Utilize dynamic instructional grouping to meet the needs of all learners
- Determine students’ academic and social emotional learning goals and ensure that they’re met
- Use the resources of the city and community to create an education that is relevant and real
- Communicate learning targets and outcomes to colleagues, parents, and students on a regular basis
- Engage students in goal setting and progress monitoring to support student self-reflection and agency
- Collect and use data to collaboratively identify goals, assess effectiveness, and promote organizational learning alongside colleagues
- Commit to building a community of child-centered educators by mentoring other educators and making regular contributions to the network, including sharing materials, best practices, research findings, etc.
- Build and maintain positive, transparent partnerships with the school’s families by engaging with the community through frequent and rich communication
- Collaborate with researchers, designers, technologists, and other educators to devise, participate in, and provide feedback on pilot experiments related to class design, pedagogical approach, scheduling, classroom tools and more
- Collaborate with our Personalization Leads to support all learners and our Integration Leads to refine use of our platform for deeper personalization
- Prompt and regular attendance on all school and work days