Senior Media Relations Specialist - (170000PR)
TheUniversity of Maryland, Baltimore Office of Communications and Public Affairsis seeking a Senior Media Relations Specialist. This position is responsible forassisting university schools and programs with media relations andinstitutional communications, preparing news advisories, press releases andnews articles, and managing projects from request to completion by coordinatingworkflow, timelines, and deadlines. This position is responsible for creatingpublic informational materials including written and multimedia content for useon the web and social media sites. The incumbent serves as a front-linespokesperson for schools and/or programs interacting with the public, themedia, and others to enhance the university's image. The incumbent createswritten and multi-media content for the university's web and social mediasites.
This isan exempt, regular position and offers a generous benefits package thatincludes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and observed holidays, 15 sick days;comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remissionfor employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Marylandschools.
- Assist in development andimplementation of the Media Relations Team's daily operations strategies andinitiatives that align with the mission and strategic priorities of theuniversity.
- Coordinate with clients to identifyneeds and communication strategies to ensure project specifications. Definedesired outcomes and deadlines and ensure project specifications are met.
- Manage production and distributionof public informational materials to target audiences, including the use ofsocial media and multimedia. Research, write, edit, and summarize materials forprint, broadcast, and on-line media outlets. Maintain printed inventory,databases, and digital archives.
- React to and interact with mediarepresentatives to develop and maintain relationships, promote universityprograms and activities, and respond to media inquiries.
- Maintain project administration.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelorsin Communications, Marketing, English, Journalism, or Business preferred.
Experience: Three(3) years of experience in marketing, communications, public or clientrelations.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Possess a strong understanding ofissues and trends impacting healthcare and academia, along with the ability toidentify and capitalize on news-making opportunities. Ability to maintain highstandards with the work being performed and maintain awareness with customer'sneeds. Possess skill in creating, curating and publishing multimedia content.
- Assumes personal responsibility forall outcomes; makes effective and timely decisions. Maintains productivity anduses knowledge media strategies to increase knowledge of media technology.Ability to work well in a fast-paced environment with multi-dimensional pointsof view and to take accountability for deliverables, and results; skill inmanaging multiple complex tasks and projects concurrently; exceptional organizationalskills.
- Proficiency with Word and otherMicrosoft Office programs. Understanding and working knowledge of the Internet,social media, database and Internet applications. Understanding of mediamonitoring and measurement tools. Working knowledge of photography and videoediting skills preferred.
- Ability to effectively communicateboth verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Ability to communicatecomplex information to the public and visualize items for consistency,accuracy, and style. Interprets and understands written information and is ableto listen attentively to verbal and non-verbal cues that lead to a deeperunderstanding.
- Demonstrate skill in acting as aliaison with clients, vendors, and staff members, effectively communicatingtheir ideas and messages. Ability to work cooperatively with others anddemonstrates professional, ethical, respectful, and courteous behavior wheninteracting with others. Capable of interacting pleasantly and positively withothers to meet customer expectations, and provide follow up with customers.
Hiring Range:Commensurate with education and experience.
If accommodations are needed, contact Staffing & CareerServices at 410-706-2606, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. MarylandRelay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.
EqualOpportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, protected veteransand individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
: Exempt Staff - E2922E
Employee Class : Exempt Regular
Full Time/Part Time: Full-Time
: Day Job
Financial Disclosure: No
: Communications & Public Affairs
: Apr 13, 2017
: May 4, 2017, 11:59:00 PM