The CTS LAN Adminsitrator II is responsible for administration, testing, maintenance, performance, implementation, security and support of various departmental LAN platforms, including the installation and testing of new software, operating systems, servers (which are computer program/programs that provide services to other computer programs (and their users) in the same or other computers), related utilities/services, and hardware products as well as the integration of new products and /or software release upgrades into the current environment. Analyze user needs in the computing device (e.g., desktop, mobile devices, etc.) environment and make recommendations for products and services that meet those needs. Contribute to ensuring that the integrity of the device environment is maintained in an efficient and cost-effective manner. Responsible for delivery, moving and installing devices and related software as well as device inventory.
This position will provide direct support for both clinical and administrative customers hardware and software issues pertaining to any of the device types previously mentioned. The incumbent will use all management tools that are available to the Hopkins PC support entities including SCCM, AD, Airwatch, BOMGAR, Casper, InTune and others. Generally, work is assigned based on Service Now incident management system or service request system in which case performance metrics are tracked and measured. In some cases, the position will participate in the execution of projects that affect a variable number of computers/customers in a given location ranging from a small department to an entire campus.
The responsibilities listed below are typical examples of the work performed by this position. Not all duties assigned to this position are included, nor is it expected that everyone in this position will be assigned every job responsibility.
ANALYSIS and DESIGN
- Evaluate and document customer needs for devices connected to the network environment by meeting with the customer to gather information on business problems and recommend solutions.
- Assist in planning: installation of network operating systems, cabling, servers and client hardware; migration of files, data, and applications from other systems to the device environment; client hardware moves; and creation or acquisition of programs and other user interfaces by working with technical peers and customers to deliver quality solutions to the customers and the environment.
- Evaluate and recommend vendor software packages and hardware by investigating tools available in the industry to support the customers and the current environment.
- Create software utilities for device management such as printer setup utilities, font downloading utilities and batch files and for automated installation of software on client devices by using standard desktop tools to improve total cost of ownership and customer service.
- Provide input to establishing device procedures and standards such as access methods and time, security validation checks, and documentation by working with team members to ensure conformance with information systems and organization objectives.
INSTALL, CONFIGURE, MAINTAIN
- Deliver, move, and install devices and related software including client devices, Web servers, file and application servers, peripherals, operating systems, standard software and vendor software by following documented standards and procedures to provide equipment and service to the customers and to the environment.
- Manage desktop device life-cycle by maintaining device and software inventories, by performing preventive maintenance according to documentation and standards, and by repairing and replacing equipment as needed to deliver service to the customers.
- Respond to assigned alerts on servers, devices, storage utilization, and Directory service health and device performance by using appropriate tools to provide stable performance to the customers.
- Create, schedule, monitor, and validate quality of desktop backups by following standards and documented procedures to ensure that recovery is possible in the event of equipment or software failure. Restore files as needed.
- Interface with customers by meeting with them to provide support of Business Continuity plan.
- Participate in disaster plans for equipment supported by attending meetings with technical team and customers.
- Execute test plans, create test problem reports and report on problem resolution by following documentation and standards of the department to ensure stability of the environment for the customers.
- Create and maintain user accounts/groups in domain/directory structure including network shared files and applications by following documented procedures and standards to provide appropriate and authorized access to the environment.
- Monitors client devices using client monitoring systems.
- Troubleshoot and resolve device hardware and software problems by following documentation and by using appropriate diagnostic tools to provide solutions to customers.
- Follow procedures for reported problems by using the appropriate Help Desk software for problem recording and resolution to provide documentation of the problem and its resolution.
- Keep current on supported technology to maintain knowledge-base and skills.
- Document and communicate department and/or organizational system updates, installations etc. to appropriate staff.
- Contribute to development and /or review of system, end user, training, or support documentation as assigned for new, revised or existing systems by following department documentation standards to support both technical and non-technical customers.
- Provide technical support, training and guidance to the customer base in the use of PCs, software products and device operations by meeting with the customers on a regular basis to give good customer service.
- Manage customer relationships by being an advocate for the customer and other IT groups to provide good service to the customer.
- Complete service requests as assigned by meeting published Service Level Agreements and/or agreed to delivery dates to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Work with other Technical Analysts and areas responsible for strategic device products by meeting with them on a regular basis to ensure that releases are kept current and that updates to servers and client devices are coordinated.
- Follow up on all feedback from customers by promptly meeting with them to ensure customer satisfaction.