Northwestern University seeks a technologically-minded researcher to serve as Assistant Director of Student Affairs Assessment and Planning. The office supports over 30 departments across the Division of Student Affairs on their assessment, evaluation, and strategic planning needs. As one of three full-time positions in the office, this new position was created to meet the growing demand and complexity around student affairs assessment. The person in this role is responsible for conducting a variety of quantitative and qualitative data analysis projects, including querying a variety of complex database systems used by numerous Division departments. The ideal candidate for this position is fluent in SQL, has high competence handling complex data management tasks, and also has experience with assessment and evaluation in a higher education setting.
Please note: Some evenings and weekends required.
- Provide support for assessment projects across 30+ departments in the Division of Student Affairs;
- Develop and maintain queries and reports and respond to requests for data from database management systems including but not limited to: PeopleSoft, Symplicity CSM, Maxient Conduct Manager, Accessible Information Management (AIM), Titanium Scheduler, Resident Management System (RMS), and CBORD Odyssey;
- Develop assessments using qualitative and quantitative research methods;
- Perform critical analysis of literature relevant to current research and best practices;
- Analyze data using appropriate methods;
- Generate reports for a variety of audience types;
- Meet with constituents to discuss assessment results when appropriate;
- Assist with facilitation of training workshops on topics related to assessment in Student Affairs
- Additional responsibilities as assigned.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's in education, social sciences, computer science, business administration, or related field, and two years of experience working with assessment, research, or evaluation (or equivalent combination of education and experience).
- Demonstrated experience with Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated experience with quantitative data analysis software like SPSS.
- Demonstrated experience working with relational databases.
- Knowledge and experience using SQL programming language with the ability to create SQL queries.
- Experience working in evaluation, assessment, and/or research.
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- Solid understanding of the principles of database management and business process workflow.
- Strong data analysis skills (quantitative and qualitative) and problem solving skills.
- Adept at report writing and presenting findings.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously with high degree to accuracy and attention to detail.
- Work independently and collaboratively to accomplish responsibilities, goals, and projects.
- Organize work to meet deadlines.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Master’s degree in higher education, social sciences, computer science, business administration or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated experience with assessment-related work in a university setting.
- Experience with quantitative and qualitative data collection and analysis.
- Knowledge of student learning and student development theory.
- Experience with data visualization tools (i.e., Tableau) and survey development software.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.