| Company Overview:|
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 27th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2016, as well as Glassdoor’s annual Employees’ Choice Awards 2017. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
The Diagnostic Molecular Pathology Lab located at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center is seeking a Molecular Technologist, performing state of the art molecular technologies to discover novel genetic and clinically useful molecular biomarkers.
As a Molecular Technologist you will:
- Performs DNA/RNA Extraction on samples received by the laboratory for clinical and developmental test analysis
- Operates and Maintains laboratory automation as directed to complete DNA/RNA extraction procedures.
- Ensures proper use of all protocols of specimen handling including, DNA/RNA extractions.
- Perform nucleic acid isolation procedure as per established guidelines.
- Reviews all test requests thoroughly for errors, omissions, clarity, and potential problems.
- Verifies patient identification at all steps of every procedure. Maintains complete accuracy.
- Must follow unidirectional flow of specimen handling to avoid contamination.
- Notifies supervisor of discrepancies and records corrective action taken.
- Operates equipment carefully and according to procedures. Performs necessary equipment checks, performance testing, preventive maintenance, and quality control on equipment per laboratory guidelines, as assigned. Assures equipment and instruments meet performance standards.
- Helps maintain commonly used equipment. Resolves minor equipment problems.
- Perform genetic and molecular biology laboratory procedures involving traditional techniques such as PCR, isolation of DNA and RNA from tumor specimens, DNA Fragment Analysis, DNA sequencing, RT-PCR, Real-Time PCR, and other molecular techniques.
- Operates equipment carefully and according to procedures. Performs necessary equipment checks, performance testing, preventive maintenance, and quality control on equipment per laboratory guidelines, as assigned. Assures equipment and instruments meet performance standards. Records results.
- BS in Medical Technology, Molecular Biology, Biotechnology, or related field with experience working in a Cytogenetics laboratory. Master’s degree preferred.
- NYS Clinical Laboratory Technologist License Required, or ASCP Certification, eligible for NYS Technologist License
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Good laboratory and organizational skills, including the ability to work independently and efficiently are essential
- Ability to multitask, along with an orientation toward teamwork and leadership
- Strong creative thinking and problem solving skills
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.