NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Student Nurse Extern.
In this role, the successful candidate Performs patient care procedures and related activities within the framework of the written care plan and assignment by the professional registered nurse. Works closely with the professional nurse to determine patient needs, implements care activities, and reports patient/family responses. Carries out patient assignments under the direct supervision of the registered nurse, with a comprehensive approach to achieve specific outcomes. Reports to the RN specific functions completed. Observes the RN in the performance of professional nursing care.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the rationale and basic principles of assigned patients
- Provides for hygiene, safety, and comfort needs of assigned patients.
- Utilizes nursing interventions to prevent the complications of bedrest and immobility.
- Provides assistance to patients with activities of daily living and encourages appropriate
- Incorporates infection prevention/control guidelines, and risk management in patient
- Measures vital signs.
- Applies clean dressings.
- Performs intake and output.
- Provides oral suctioning and mouth care.
- Utilizes the written patient care plan/clinical pathway to deliver patient care.
- Demonstrates basic knowledge and skills necessary to provide age-appropriate care by
identifying physical, psychosocial, cultural, ethnic, religious, and development needs, and adapting interventions accordingly.
- Observes the nursing process, i.e., assessment, documentation, planning, interventions, and
evaluation under the direction of the registered nurse.
- Observes and reports changes in the patients condition and environment to the registered
- Supports patients privacy and confidentiality.
- Verbally and non-verbally communicates support and responsiveness to patients, families,
and other staff.
- With additional training and demonstrated competency, may also be permitted to perform the following clinical functions and treatments: Obtains 12 lead EKGs. Uses a glucometer.
- Participates in the planning and evaluation of nursing care by active participation in conferences.
- Assumes responsibility for observing patient/family responses, changes in patient condition, results of procedures performed and reports same to the designated registered nurse.
- Completes written documentation of these activities and observations, obtaining co-signature by the supervising registered nurse.
- Cooperates and interacts with the interdisciplinary team members when carrying out patient
- Demonstrates knowledge of the NYUMCs Service Standards and incorporates them into the
performance of duties.
- Functions as a respectful member of the health care team.
- Participates in classroom or unit-based educational learning activities.
- Observes patient teaching.
- Seeks learning resources for identified learning needs.
- Recognizes own limitations and requests assistance when needed.
- Participates in unit-based quality initiatives under the guidance of a registered professional
nurse.Participates in unit-based quality initiatives under the guidance of a registered professional
To qualify you must have a REQUIREMENTS
Completion of a minimum of one clinical semester with a medical/surgical focus in a BSN program.
Acceptable transcript (GPA of 3.5 or higher) and two clinical references from the school of nursing.
Successful completion of a written screening questionnaire.
Certification in BLS.
Demonstrates physical stamina, manual dexterity, visual and aural acuity to perform responsibilities.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.