About Virginia Tech:
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
The Program Coordinator is responsible for meeting and surpassing the goals and objectives for the educational programs offered by the Mechanical Engineering department in Northern Virginia. This is accomplished by ensuring that all activities and functions for a designated program be completed in accordance with stated priorities, time limitations, funding limitations, and/or other specifications. Sample responsibilities include but are not limited to, assistance to advertising, marketing, and outreach for a graduate program which is an extension of the Main Campus offerings, assistance to initiate a successful program, development of publicity material for the program, coordination with main campus and NCR staff for course offerings and scheduling of distance learning classrooms, coordination of the program with other College of Engineering programs and liaisons at NCR, coordination with other Virginia Tech units such as Alumni Office, office of the Dean and other departments at NCR as necessary, establishing a communication approach for prompt responses to inquiries about the program, services for guidance and advising to enrolled students and assistance for a variety of functions such as registration, developing program of study, creating/matching links to faculty and advisers (at both NCR and Blacksburg Campuses), organizing/processing thesis and dissertation applications, and academic procedural advising and counseling, among others.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field or equivalent level of training and/or experience.
- Experience providing higher level administration in a professional office environment.
- Experience in higher education program development and management, marketing, publicity, and outreach.
- Bookkeeping/accounting experience.
- Proficiency utilizing computer software such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team atmosphere.
- Must have excellent customer service, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Experience working with remote staff or team members.
- Experience using Banner databases or similar in other institutions for applications, student management, departmental human resources management, and financial management including fund accounting.
- Working knowledge of purchasing databases such as Hokiemart.
- Experience working with and managing data within Cloud data servers.
- Experience working in higher education.
Employee Category: Staff (Salary)
Appointment Type: Restricted
Percent Employment: Full-time
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.