Academic Director to the Upward Bound Math-Science Program
Staff - Hourly
Upward Bound Match
Fiscal Year Renewal
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work:
Part-time Hourly, Temporary/Seasonal
16-20 hours per week for 6 weeks
$40.00 per hour for a total of 100 hours for the whole summer.
RAMAPO COLLEGE OF NEW JERSEY:
Mission: Ramapo College of New Jersey is New Jersey's Public Liberal Arts College, dedicated to providing students a strong foundation for a lifetime of achievement. The College is committed to academic excellence through interdisciplinary and experiential learning, and international and intercultural understanding. Ramapo College emphasizes teaching and individual attention to all students. We promote diversity, inclusiveness, sustainability, student engagement, and community involvement.
Established in 1969, Ramapo College of New Jersey has an enrollment of 5,000 students and offers bachelor's degrees in the arts, business, humanities, social sciences and the sciences, as well as in professional studies, which include nursing and social work. In addition, Ramapo College offers courses leading to teacher certification at the elementary and secondary levels. The College also offers eight graduate programs as well as articulated programs with Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, New York Chiropractic College, New York University College of Dentistry, SUNY State College of Optometry and New York College of Podiatric Medicine. The College is ranked as fifth in the Best Regional Public Universities North category by U.S. News & World Report.
Undergraduate students choose to concentrate their studies in one of five schools with more than 539 course offerings and 36 academic programs. Ramapo College boasts an average student/faculty ratio of 18:1 and average class size of 23, affording students the opportunity to develop close ties to the College's exceptional faculty.
Reporting to the Director of the Upward Bound Program, this person is employed only for the summer session and would assist in training and supervising Part-time Summer Tutors, Full-time Summer Tutor/Counselors, and Summer Instructors. Assist in monitoring the academic progress of participants during the summer program. Assist in developing the curriculum for the summer session. Assist in developing and administering evaluation instruments on all summer academic activities. Communicate any and all problems to the Project Director. Attend on campus and off-campus meetings at the request of the Project Director.
- Assists director in the supervision of the full-time summer tutor/counselors, part-time summer tutors, and summer instructors
- Assists director in the development of the summer curriculum with the input of summer instructors
- Develops the academic schedule and assigns a class schedule for each summer participant
- Assists director in monitoring student academic growth and development
- Assists director in recruitment of annual instructors for summer courses
- Communicates with staff and instructors regarding curricular requirements, academic evaluations, and any specific course related information
- Trains staff on the policies and procedures of the Ramapo College Upward Bound Math Science Program with regard to academic aspects of the program
- Communicates regularly with the director regarding student academic progress and staff performance with regard to the academic aspects of the program
- Attends and helps plan weekly Instructor meetings during the summer program
- Generally, oversees the quality of the academic services provided by the summer program and performs duties as needed
- May drive college vans to transport students on educational field trips
Graduation from an accredited college with a Bachelor's degree, preferably in Teacher Education and with an emphasis in Math or Science Education and with a major in a Math or Science related field. New Jersey high school teacher certification preferred.
Experience in advising students on achieving goals in higher education. Experience teaching high school students, preferable in Math or Science. Experience working with underserved communities or with low-income communities. Experience working with diverse ethnic groups. Familiarity and experience working within the standards set by the New Jersey State Board of Education (NJBOE) and the New Jersey Department of Education (NJDOE) in the adoption of the Common Core State Standards (CCSS).
Must have a clean criminal background check and cleared to work with minors.
ADDITIONAL KNOWLEDGE, SKIILS AND ABILITIES:
- Wide knowledge of the principles and techniques essential to performance of the specific responsibilities assigned.
- Ability to acquire knowledge of college policies and procedures.
- Ability to acquire knowledge of basic budget principles and techniques.
- Ability to understand, analyze, interpret and apply established law, regulations, procedures, precedents and guidelines of the grant to the academic structure of the summer program.
- Ability to communicate effectively with and delegate responsibilities to a relatively large staff with varied experience and training.
- Ability to advise and counsel students and others concerning college programs, activities and services.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
Ramapo College is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Ramapo has a long history of advocating, advising, and supporting diversity, equity, and inclusiveness. Examples can be found in its mission statement, strategic plans, degree and course offerings, community outreach programs, the Diversity Action Committee offerings, and the other numerous diversity conferences and programs. Ramapo's commitment to diversity and inclusion is infused across all facets of the College; where the environment is welcoming, dedicated to social justice, respectful of freedom of expression, focused on educating and having an ongoing conversation regarding cultural competence and the benefits and importance of diversity.
Cover Letter, Resume/Curriculum Vitae