Full-Time Tutor/Counselor to the Upward Bound Math-Science Program
Staff - Hourly
Upward Bound Match
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work:
30-40 hours per week @ $9.00-$11.74/hour
230 hours for the summer for each of 5 Tutor/Counselors
RAMAPO COLLEGE OF NEW JERSEY:
Mission: Ramapo College of New Jersey is New Jersey's Public Liberal Arts College, dedicated to providing students a strong foundation for a lifetime of achievement. The College is committed to academic excellence through interdisciplinary and experiential learning, and international and intercultural understanding. Ramapo College emphasizes teaching and individual attention to all students. We promote diversity, inclusiveness, sustainability, student engagement, and community involvement.
Established in 1969, Ramapo College of New Jersey has an enrollment of 5,000 students and offers bachelor's degrees in the arts, business, humanities, social sciences and the sciences, as well as in professional studies, which include nursing and social work. In addition, Ramapo College offers courses leading to teacher certification at the elementary and secondary levels. The College also offers eight graduate programs as well as articulated programs with Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, New York Chiropractic College, New York University College of Dentistry, SUNY State College of Optometry and New York College of Podiatric Medicine. The College is ranked as fifth in the Best Regional Public Universities North category by U.S. News & World Report.
Undergraduate students choose to concentrate their studies in one of five schools with more than 539 course offerings and 36 academic programs. Ramapo College boasts an average student/faculty ratio of 18:1 and average class size of 23, affording students the opportunity to develop close ties to the College's exceptional faculty.
Reporting to the Director, Program Assistant, Academic Director, Residence Director and Assigned Instructor of the Upward Bound Program, this person would tutor assigned course material during the summer sessions and counsel students with regard to the residential aspects of the summer program. He/She is responsible for the physical and emotional well-being of the participants while in and out of the classroom, assists the instructor in developing and administering evaluation instruments for academic achievement in their class, assists the Residential director in developing and monitoring nonacademic activities during student residence on campus, communicates any and all problems to the Instructor, Residence Director, Academic Director, Program Assistant or Director, and attends on campus and off-campus meetings at the request of the Director.
- assisting students with homework and study skills (in all subject areas),
- managing students' residential college experience as well as taking part in recreational activities,
- attending and assisting the Residential Director on planned field trips and other scheduled activities,
- assisting in coordinating activities, monitoring students' academic progress, classroom, cafeteria and residence hall behavior (attendance, lateness, curfew,-etc.) whenever you are in the presence of the students
- encouraging students to follow the rules and regulations of the program.
- driving College vans to transport students as needed
- successful completion of mandatory College administered defensive driver training course
- Must be able to live on campus during the 3 day (unpaid) training prior to the summer session
- Must be able to live on campus Sunday through Friday evening during the 6-week residential program
- Must be "On-Call" 24hrs when students are present on campus.
- Must be a good student (2.8 GPA or better),
- Must have leadership qualities
- Must be a good role model
- Must be dedicated to the ideal of access to higher education for all qualified persons
- Must be available:
3 days of intensive (unpaid) training in June
Mondays through Fridays during the 6 week residential program (July -August)
- May not have other jobs during the six week summer session or be enrolled in any course during that time.
- clean criminal background check
- clean driving record per N.J. driver's license extract
ADDITIONAL KNOWLEDGE, SKIILS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of the subject matter and techniques essential to performance of the specific responsibilities assigned.
- Ability to advise and counsel students and others concerning high school and college academics.
- Ability to work well with teenagers from urban, inner-city school districts.
- Sensitivity to the needs of low-income families.
- Ability to manage simple internet based forms of communication and documentation.
Ramapo College is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Ramapo has a long history of advocating, advising, and supporting diversity, equity, and inclusiveness. Examples can be found in its mission statement, strategic plans, degree and course offerings, community outreach programs, the Diversity Action Committee offerings, and the other numerous diversity conferences and programs. Ramapo's commitment to diversity and inclusion is infused across all facets of the College; where the environment is welcoming, dedicated to social justice, respectful of freedom of expression, focused on educating and having an ongoing conversation regarding cultural competence and the benefits and importance of diversity.
Cover Letter, Resume/Curriculum Vitae, Unofficial Transcripts