The Licensed Social Worker assists both inpatients and outpatients with discharge planning. They work collaboratively with patients, family members, physicians, and other community agencies. They work in conjunction with the case managers to facilitate effective discharge plans and refer cases to the appropriate services as needed.
CLINICAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- A patient caseload is effectively managed by prioritizing service requests and prompt interventions being completed for timely discharges.
- Assessment screenings are done per department standard. Information is collected related to the patient's personal, social, and financial status as it relates to their current situation.
- Demonstrates the ability to assess and provide an appropriate linkage for all age groups (infant, children, adolescents' adults and geriatric populations).
- Daily communication with Behavioral Health Treatment Team to promote quality care and timely discharge plans for assigned patients.
- Supplies information and referrals for cases requiring social, emotional, financial, or medical assistance.
- Prepares and forwards proper documentation as directed using the SOAP method of charting and the correct forms for documentation.
- Informs patients and families about the patients' needs and instructs them in follow-up procedures and referrals.
- CLINICAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES (cont.):
- Documents all contacts/interventions in the medical record in a clear concise and timely manner. Documentation is completed prior to the end of the assigned shift.
- Arranges placement in nursing homes, retirement homes, shelters, other acute care facilities and assists with the discharge plans to such facilities with notification to patient, relatives, and medical personnel. Provides for a smooth transition to alternate levels of care.
- Identifies and takes appropriate action in cases of abuse and neglect.
- Advocates on behalf of the patient in both internal and external systems.
- Understands the implications for patients related to cultural, social, and economic backgrounds.
- Collaborates with other disciplines in optimizing services for the patients.
- Refers patients to the finance department for assistance with payment of bills and application for needed assistance.
- Actively participates in length of stay meetings and provides input into the discharge plans for difficult patient situations.
- Participates in the department quality indicator studies.
- Has a good knowledge of community resources to maximize services for patients. Shares
- knowledge of available resources with co-workers. Participates in education opportunities to grow and keep current in practice.
- Assist patients and families in crisis, providing therapeutic support, refering to Spiritual Care and the Ethics Committee as needed.
- Completes yearly competencies with the time frame established by the department and/or the hospital.
- Assists with student interns, serves as a preceptor and mentor.
- Compliant with Holy Cross Hospital Attendance Standards.
- Masters Degree in Social Work from an accredited school and valid State of Illinois Social Work License. Must meet the required number of CEU's per year to maintain valid license.
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker Preferred.
- CPR - BLS
- Minimum of one year working in a behavioral health setting related to social work. Have knowledge related to medical and psychiatric terminology.
- Must possess effective communication skills both verbal and written. Needs to be a good listener and show empathy to patients, physicians, and staff. Sound ethical judgment is needed.
- Knowledge of SOAP charting method. Reasoning skills.
Other Required Skills:
- Be knowledgeable in cultural diversity. Have an age specific knowledge base for neonate, pediatric, adolescent, adult, and geriatric patients. Knowledge of legal and ethical boundaries as they pertain to our patient population in the health care system.
- Normal office environment. Will have patient contact in all areas of the hospital and exposure to communicable diseases, toxic substances, ionizing radiation, and medicinal preparations.