La Casa Norte’s mission is to serve youth and families confronting homelessness. We provide access to stable housing and deliver comprehensive services that act as a catalyst to transform lives and communities.” La Casa Norte’s mission and philosophy of service is to impact the social issues of homelessness at the individual and community levels.
The Housing Advocacy Program provides case management and assistance in obtaining permanent housing for families and youth involved in the child welfare system.
This is a full time position working Monday – Friday, from 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. or 10:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Expected Goals and Objectives
Goal One: To supervise, monitor and provide oversight of day-to-day operations of Housing Advocacy Program.
- Working consistently within LCN’s mission, vision, and philosophy of service, including Harm Reduction and Trauma-Informed Care frameworks.
- Manage program referrals and case assignment. Ensure all referrals receive follow up within one business day of receipt.
- Act as primary point of contact with Department of Family and Children supervisors and case workers, as well as with the DCFS office of Housing and Cash Assistance.
- Attend all required meetings with DCFS Office of Housing and Cash assistance, with local Housing Authorities, and with other Chicago homeless services providers.
- Oversee case management activities to support participants’ housing placement, retention, and progress on individual goals, including increasing income, improving health and wellness, increasing life skills, and family stability and reunification.
- Communicate in a timely and accurate fashion both internally (i.e. incident reports, supervision, disciplinary action, billing, and case note entries) and externally (i.e. maintenance requests, supply orders, funding reports).
- Develops and maintains professional relationships with appropriate community providers, organizations, etc., to ensure that participants are connected to appropriate community supports.
- Responsible for day to day logistics of programming including staff scheduling, case assignments, and
- Create annual Program Plan and associated work plan which guides the program services and development of the program and reports quarterly on progress.
- Provide crisis intervention as needed in response to staff, landlord, client, or other concerns.
Goal Two: To supervise, monitor, and provide oversight of day-to-day operations of the Information & Referral functions.
- Work with Information & Referral Specialist and receptionists to ensure that all clients seeking assistance receive appropriate services.
- Ensure accurate collection of demographic information, referral activities, and outcomes for grants and contracts.
- Facilitate reconnection of former clients with La Casa Norte programming staff as appropriate.
- Assist with planning and overseeing community engagement activities- maintain meaningful knowledge of community agencies providing a spectrum of services, and oversee La Casa Norte’s community outreach activities.
Goal Three: To provide overall supervision of the program staff and participants through a number of human resources activities.
- Conducts regular supervision meetings with all staff, including clinical supervision to support adherence to all LCN service frameworks, and task supervision to manage staff workload and task completion; document topics in supervision notes
- Provide live supervision during home visits and other client meetings as needed for safety, client, engagement, and training purposes
- Provide regular feedback to staff on their performance, including informal feedback, 90 day evaluations and annual performance evaluations
- In collaboration with Leadership team, conducts hiring, discipline, promotion, termination and other relevant employment transactions regarding the performance of program staff
- Supervises social work and other interns and volunteers as needed
- Ensure all new employees are properly trained in policies, protocols, and philosophy of care at La Casa Norte and create opportunities for additional professional development for all staff.
- Facilitate team meetings and other activities to share information and build team cohesion.
Goal Four: To help families and youth to maintain stable housing and exit to other permanent housing by:
- Support and implement the policies and philosophies of the program and of La Casa Norte
- Take advantage of key “teachable moments” to help participants develop skills in decision making, conflict resolution, time management, etc.
- Review action plans and case management activities to ensure appropriate service to support participant progress.
- Maintain positive working relationships with DCFS and private referring agencies.
- Support case managers in mediating any landlord tenant issues, including referrals to legal assistance as needed.
- With case managers, develop intervention plans to address issues that may pose a threat to participants’ housing retention, health, and safety.
Goal Five: Manages data collection, program reporting, and program evaluation to support continued improvement and ongoing funding
- Ensures the accuracy and timeliness of program data and documentation requirements including Client Track, HMIS, funder reports, and paper files.
- Conducts regular Quality Insurance checks of data tracking systems and trains staff on their use as needed.
- Ensure that all staff meet their billing quota; problem solve with staff to ensure both high quality of service and adequate billing to maintain program revenue.
- Prepare monthly bills for DCFS; ensure accuracy of bills and supporting documentation.
- Complete internal and external quarterly reporting.
- Work closely with development and finance departments to deliver effective and forward thinking programming that meet the expectations of our funders.
- Collects additional evidence of program effectiveness including client stories and testimonials.
In addition to the responsibilities listed above, all La Casa Norte employees are responsible for contributing to the overall success of La Casa Norte by:
- Attending weekly staff meetings and other staff trainings.
- Participating in La Casa Norte’s fundraising events.
- Working in team approach to develop new programs.
- Perform other duties as required.