DOING THE MOST GOOD
Do you want to use your skills and talents to make a lasting difference in the world? The Salvation Army is the fourth largest charity in the United States and is an international organization based on Biblical principles created to help people in need. We are mission-driven, diverse, collaborative, and focused on positive results for people. Join us in making a difference.
POSITION TITLE: Para Professional
LOCATION/DEPT: Child Care
REPORTS TO: Teacher/Site Director
To serve pre-diagnosed preschool children with severe to moderate disabilities in Head Start/Child Care collaboration programs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Demonstrates safety practices.
- Perform a safety check on each child every morning.
- Clean up water spills.
- Empty and bleach the water table daily.
- Call for assistance with coverage if need to leave the classroom (i.e. take child to restroom).
- Work with Teacher or Assistant Teacher in supervising the classroom (i.e. one person stands if another sits with a child).
- Minimizes potential hazards.Report any safety hazards inside or outside the facility (i.e. broken glass on the playground) to the Director.
- Clean up any potential hazards.
- Access children for any potential hazards (i.e. untied shoelaces).
- Provides safety instruction.
- Instruct children to walk not run.
- Instruct children on proper behavior while on the bus.
- Learning Environment
- Support children place in Head Start Maintains learning environment.
- Assist teaching staff in the classrooms in the role of disabilities.
- Assists the teacher in planning and implementing activities that promote the physical development of the child (ren) with disabilities.
- Maintains an environment conducive to development of physical skills.
- Promotes children's listening skills.
- Promotes clear articulation and language production.
- Promotes adult-child communication.
- Promotes child-child communication.
- Maintains a professional attitude.
- Keeps abreast of early childhood education practices.
- Other Duties
- All other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent required.
- One year experience in a pre-school setting.
- Some experience with young children.
- Some knowledge of social service programs helpful.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to use initiative and be a self starter.
- A positive attitude and the ability to be flexible in light of changing job situations/priorities.
- An attention to detail.
- Supportive of the mission of The Salvation Army.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
This position is required to do light to moderate physical work and be able to lift up to 40lbs on a daily basis.
In order to successfully perform the essential functions of this position, the employee is occasionally required to position self to stoop, kneel or crouch; frequently required to use standard classroom and office equipment and a PC.
The work environment for this position includes an office or classroom environment with a low to moderate noise level.
This position will only work at assigned locations where there are children with disabilities and are subject to change work locations at any given time based on the program need to serve these children.