Date: April 13, 2017
Title: Entry Level Custodian, 3rd Shift
Position number: 790
Compensation: $12.82 per hour + $0.55 Third Shift
Reports to: Facilities Building Manager
Posted until: April 27, 2017
This position may be required to provide support at the Ford Fieldhouse, Ford Pool, Calkins Science Center, or at another college facility as directed by the custodial building manager. The position is responsible for maintaining the cleanliness of facilities; the surrounding external adjacent area; performing minor maintenance; and snow removal from walkways. A major aspect besides cleaning of the facility is to ensure it is open and then secured at the end of day. Additionally, the individual must cognizant of the fire alarm and security systems.
Essential Job Functions
- Cleaning of hardwood surfaces
- Cleaning of carpeting and upholstery
- Cleaning of terrazzo and tile/linoleum floors
- Cleaning of restrooms, stairwells, classrooms, offices, etc.
- Ordering of supplies/cleaning products
- Replacement of fluorescent tubes and light bulbs
- Snow removal
- Opening and securing of facilities
- Unclogging of toilets/sinks
- Identification of chemicals and cleaning fluids for appropriate tasks
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule based on building requirements
- Regular attendance during normal scheduled hours is required. Being present is essential for serving customers and performing the essential functions of this position.
Marginal (non-Essential) Job Functions
- Use of pallet jack
- Use of scissors lift
- Driving a vehicle
- A minimum of a high school degree or GED diploma
- National Career Readiness Certificate (NCRC) preferred but not required.
- Five years of commercial cleaning experience, preferably in an educational environment
- Must be able to use a variety of carpet extractors (walk behind/push-pull)
- Must be able to use Taski dry foam swing scrubbers
- Must be able to operate all floor hand rotary and vibrating scrubbers
- Must be able to use and operate wet vacuums
- Must be able to use 4’; 6’; 8’; and 10’ ladders
- Must be able to use carpet bonnet machines
- Must be able to use and have knowledge of all cleaning chemicals and dispensing systems
- Must be able to use gas and electric power sprayers
- Must be able to use all general use custodial equipment: mops, buckets, brooms, dusters, etc.
- Must be able to use a computer to communicate via email
- Must be able to do light electrical and plumbing work using pliers, screwdrivers, plungers, etc.
- Must be able to operate snow blowers
- Must be able to use salt spreaders
- Must be able to use man lifts and pallet jacks
- Must be able to drive a vehicle
- Be able to adjust to a flexible and changing schedule
- The ability to work with a variety of college staff personnel
- The ability to provide customer service to faculty, staff, students and the general public
- Be able to lift 50 pounds
- Be able to work indoors with or without heat and air conditioning, and outside during all types of weather
- Work alone
- Work during the hours of darkness
- Work indoors and outdoors
- Work with or without heat and air conditioning
Method of Application
Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position at https://www.grcc.edu/jobs Submit a cover letter and resume in one document. The opportunity to apply for this position will close on April 27, 2017 at 11:59 PM. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an equal opportunity employer.
Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight, national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC programs, activities, services and employment, including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination on the basis of the listed protected characteristics. The college will not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an investigation. Further information may be obtained from the EEO Office or the Office of General Counsel, 143 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3295.