Department: Law School and Law Library
Outreach and Administrative Assistant, Law and Economics Center
The George Mason University Antonin Scalia Law School seeks an Outreach and Administrative Assistant for the Law and Economics Center (LEC) on the Arlington campus. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason's academic and culturally inclusive environment.
The Outreach and Administrative Assistant will be responsible for providing communication and outreach support for all LEC initiatives and programs, including, but not limited to: publicity and advertising, stakeholder and coalition relations, and events. Primary responsibilities include Web site design and maintenance, management of social media platforms, database support and data entry, and the compilation of materials to support stakeholder engagement.
The Outreach and Administrative Assistant will also provide administrative support to the LEC's Executive Director and Deputy Director, and will provide program and event team support by assisting in the coordination of logistics for LEC events. Additional responsibilities for this position include screening phone calls, managing calendars, making travel and meeting arrangements, preparing reports and financial data, and general constituent relations. This position includes overall front office activities, including the reception area, mail, large purchasing requests, and facilities supervision.
- Maintain and update LEC Web sites as needed, ensure all Web site pages are up-to-date and accurate;
- Support and track communications with external partners and stakeholders;
- Assist in the maintenance of all distribution and e-mail lists;
- Update and monitor all social media pages on a regular basis;
- Assist in the production and distribution of marketing and fundraising materials—including annual report, promotional brochures, mailers and e-mail communications, fundraising communications, and other items;
- Assist the LEC Outreach Manager in identifying and liaising with potential and scheduled program attendees and speakers;
- Support the LEC's mentorship programs, maintaining participant and recruitment records, and communicating with participants when necessary;
- Provide administrative support to the Outreach Manager and Assistant Director of Development as needed;
- Maintain Executive Director's and Deputy Director's calendars and appointments;
- Act as recording secretary and prepare action minutes;
- Arrange travel appointments and logistics;
- Prepare travel itinerary and provide supplies for trips;
- Prepare expense reimbursements;
- Assist in the preparation of conference/meeting materials (name tags, table tents, etc.);
- Edit and format documents to support the program team;
- Provide onsite support at events;
- Participate in special projects as needed;
- Manages the reception area to ensure effective in-person, telephone and mail communications—both internally and externally—to ensure professional image for the LEC;
- Supervises and coordinates overall administrative activities for the LEC;
- Supervises the maintenance and alteration of office areas and equipment, as well as layout, arrangement and housekeeping of office facilities;
- Negotiates the purchase of office supplies and furniture, office equipment, etc. for the entire staff in accordance with university and LEC purchasing policies and budgetary restrictions;
- Supervises the maintenance of office equipment, including copier, fax machine, etc.; and
- Responsible for the facilities' day-to-day operations (such as distributing building access keys and backup to security access cards, etc.).
- A bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Flexibility, excellent interpersonal skills, and project coordination experience; and
- The ability to work well with all levels of internal management and staff, as well as outside clients and vendors.
Strong computer skills—including HTML/CSS, WordPress and Microsoft Office. Experience with Adobe Photoshop and InDesign, and other publishing and graphics software.
Salary: Commensurate with education and experience.
Criminal Background Check: Standard Background Check
Mason Ad Statement:
Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report “Up and Coming” spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Mason’s diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 10458z at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.