General DescriptionThis position is responsible for the administrative functions for the Senior Advisor to the President of Johns Hopkins University (who serves as the Head of Johns Hopkins Technology Ventures) and the Senior Director of Strategic Initiatives. The Executive Specialist will coordinate the schedules of the Senior Advisor and Senior Director and related briefing materials, draft and edit a variety of written documents, represent the Senior Advisor and Senior Director to a wide range of external and internal constituencies, and exercise discretion and judgment in resolution of mission critical day-to-day assignments and requests. This position requires on-site attendance that will include some early mornings and/or late night hours.
Essential Job Functions:
- Schedules appointments, conducts research for strategic initiatives, and gathers background data in preparation for meetings, speeches, reports and proposals to prepare the Senior Advisor and Senior Director for meetings and presentations with the University leadership and entrepreneurial partners and staff.
- Coordinates all business missions and corporate travel for the Senior Advisor and Senior Director including reservations, reimbursements, and monthly reconciliation and reporting for the Senior Advisor's travel card.
- Identifies and briefs the Senior Advisor and Senior Director on key issues requiring special knowledge and understanding of programs, initiatives, goals, and objectives beyond day-to-day operational knowledge.
- Maintains system for organizing and retrieving researched materials and prepared documents.
- Develops institutional relationships and advises the Senior Advisor and Senior Director on the best way to communicate with various offices, utilizing sophisticated level of understanding and knowledge of the University and internal relationships.
- Implements critical and important projects, including developing plans, defining and communicating alternatives, and making recommendations regarding the appropriate courses of action based on thorough understanding and knowledge of desired outcomes and expectations.
- Facilitates production of management narrative and statistical reports for institutional leadership.
- Participates in executive team meetings, work groups, and task forces including facilitating discussion for the purpose of developing plans or identifying solutions to problems.
- Recommends policy and procedural changes to improve operations for the office or for the overall organization. Manages problem solving, coordination and priority setting as needed for staff members of the Senior Advisor.
- Coordinates sponsorship of regional entrepreneurial events, including staff attendance, to maximize benefit of investment of funds.
Scope of Responsibility:
This position reports to the Senior Advisor to the President. Knows the formal and informal departmental goals, standards, policies and procedures including familiarity of other departments within the school/division. Is sensitive to the interrelationship of both people and functions within the department.
On a regular and continuous basis, exercises administrative judgment and assumes responsibility for decisions, consequences, and results having an impact on people, costs, and/or quality of service within the functional area.
This position is responsible for making decisions consistent with a variety of established procedures as well as creating and maintaining procedures and determining work priorities to meet deadlines.
Exercises discretion and independent judgment over his/her own work. Does not supervise others.