The Hospital for Joint Diseases (HJD) at NYU Langone Medical Center is one of the nation's leading orthopaedic and rheumatologic, specialty hospitals dedicated to the prevention and treatment of musculoskeletal diseases. The hospital provides some of the most advanced orthopaedic programs in the region for musculoskeletal disorders and the largest pediatric orthopaedic program in New York City. HJD is consistently ranked among the leading orthopaedic centers nationwide by U.S. News and World Report. Our expert physicians combine extensive experience and research with the latest technology for bone and joint problems that affect patient's ability to function. We specialize in the following areas: Orthopaedic Surgery Rheumatology Neurology Radiology.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as an Admitting Clerk in the Finance Department. To qualify a High School Diploma or equivalent is required. Hospital admissions experience and/or familiarity with insurance verification procedures are preferred. Lite typing and working knowledge of computers as are good communication and interpersonal skills preferred.
In this role, the successful candidate will be responsible for accurately obtaining all pertinent patient demographics and financial information to properly record episode and to maximize reimbursement for the medical center. Uses independent judgment and initiative to identify and resolve issues and works as an effective team with all internal and external customers. Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
- Obtains the required pre-admissions and admission information. Verifies source materials as to their authenticity and accuracy, and gathers correct and up-to-date information.
- Courteously explains any patients responsibilities, i.e.private room differentials, limited insurance coverage, etc. Thoroughly answers all patients inquiries pertaining to admission. Contacts the physicians office if necessary, to rectify any patient financial orlogistical problems.
- Accurately updates the computer system to correctly reflect all and personal and insurance information. Explains thoroughly all forms, and obtains and witnesses all required signatures on consentand financial agreements. Reviews thoroughly all previously obtainedorders to ensure accuracy. Determines, based on establishedpractice and collects if necessary, deposit for hospital costs. Promptly enters each admission in the admission log book. Writes thorough notes on patients folders with special emphasis on necessary insurance information.
- Accurately and expeditiously enters all information in thecomputer systems and on admission waiting lists. Efficiently and courteously answers telephone and addresses all inquires. When necessary, assists in assigning patients to appropriate accommodations.
- Accurately gathers all pertinent data from the computer system, the admission log and the bed board. Adds, subtracts, and computes all data accurately. Records and transcribes all statistics accurately.
- Answers the telephone and inquires in a pleasant and courteous manner; promptly identifying the department when answering the telephone. Answers routine inquiries accurately and refers non-routine inquiries to the supervisors. Takes messages thoroughly and accurately.
- Cooperates and communicates with all hospital staff, including physicians, patients, their families and visitors in a courteous, effective and professional manner. Is attentive to others in order to respond appropriately, answers questions, or obtains needed information. Maintains the confidentiality of all, patient, physician and hospital related information. Communicates ideas, problems, suggestions and messages in a timely and effective manner.
- Recognizes problems and sees solutions as appropriate. Is able to determine when a problem should be referred to the supervisor/manager or requires a follow-up attention. Seeks information necessary for accurate completion of job duties and uses reference materials to ensure accuracy.
- Demonstrates the ability to recognize, establish and attend to priorities. Strives to make good use of time during the assigned shift through careful coordination of daily tasks. Demonstrates adaptability by adjusting well to changes in scheduling.
- Makes appropriate suggestions which would enhance or benefit the area or department. Volunteers assistance to others when appropriate. Seeks additional assignments when assigned work is completed. Demonstrates an ability and desire to learn more skill sets.
- Ensures departmental compliance with applicable standards of The Joint Commission on Accreditation of Hospitals, as well as, applicable federal, state and city regulations. Designs and implements a comprehensive program of quality assurance. Remains aware of current regulatory requirements and thoroughly answers any questions pertaining to these documents.
- Adheres to departmental guidelines concerning sick time, vacation, personal days, and other paid/unpaid leaves. Arrives on time for work and meetings, provides proper notification of absences or tardiness and maintains a professional appearance; wears identification badge at all times.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The Hospital for Joint Diseases (HJD) at NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view The Hospital for Joint Diseases (HJD) at NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.