Interim Head of School
Chartwell School, a private K - 12 school serving children with language based learning differences including dyslexia, dysgraphia and auditory processing disorders is seeking an exceptional leader capable of helping us to achieve our next level of excellence.
Chartwell School was founded in 1983 by two visionary educators who recognized the potential of these bright young students and their capacity to excel given the right process and language focus. Our faculty has an average tenure of 6 years and are trained to deliver an individualized learning experience where students acquire knowledge, creative expression, perseverance and the self advocacy skills needed to thrive in college and beyond.
At Chartwell we believe that young people with language-based learning differences and diverse learning styles and profiles can be among the most creative, productive and valuable members of any community. Our goal is to see our students develop into confident, highly productive adults, committed to lifelong learning and equipped with the knowledge, skills and social and emotional competencies to achieve their goals.
Chartwell is located on 60 acres of old Fort Ord in Seaside California on the Monterey Bay. The campus is an award winning Green facility set amongst old grove oak trees and possessing beautiful views of the Pacific Ocean. All students enjoy thoughtfully designed classrooms and experiential learning spaces that foster and promote a variety of learning modalities. The Chartwell sports program includes mountain biking, track and field, basketball and soccer.
Interim Head Responsibilities:
Reporting to the board of trustees, the Interim Head of School will have overall responsibility for academic quality, operations, strategic development and institutional strength. The Head will also have responsibility for academic quality with the assistance of existing staff.
Specific duties include the following:
- Lead the WASC Accreditation process.
- Serve as a mentor to our current heads of the lower/middle school and high school.
- Manage school operations on a day-to-day basis by empowering faculty and staff through delegation of responsibility and authority while retaining ultimate accountability.
- Recruit, develop and retain an outstanding staff who are committed to excellence, professional development and lifelong learning.
- Continue to improve communications across departmental and administrative elements of the school; to upgrade policies and procedures; and to refine business management methods.
- Develop appropriate policies and procedures to facilitate efficient school operations and key role transitions.
- Continue the school’s tradition of providing a welcoming, open and supportive atmosphere in which students are challenged and encouraged to reach their academic potential.
- Represent the school to the broader community as well as to regional and national constituencies.
- Effectively market and advance Chartwell School’s strategic partnerships, including research, sponsorships and corporate.
- Develop advancement opportunities by establishing an effective advancement / marketing program.
Desired Candidate Qualifications
- Approachable and accessible style focused on fostering a collaborative environment.
- Strategic focus with the ability to scope and drive performance throughout all levels of the organization.
- Proven track record of successful leadership in an educational or related business setting for at least 7 years.
- Exceptional ability to hire, onboard staff, coach and organize teams.
- One who is straightforward, objective, decisive and consistent in the context of fair application of policy and assessment.
- Extensive experience managing a business office including planning, budgeting, structure evaluation, reorganization
- Proven ability to manage various functions including finance, human resources, marketing, technology, facilities and advancement.
- Knowledge of nonprofit fundraising
- Ability to effectively synthesize and communicate vision, consistently gaining consensus at all levels.
Language Based Learning Difference (LBLD) background helpful, including
- Head of School or Executive Director experience
- Exposure to LBLD community in a teaching, research or advisory capacity
- Knowledge of current advances and research in the LBLD field
- Minimum of a master’s degree in education, business administration or other related degree.
- June 1, 2017 - June 31, 2018
Chartwell offers an exceptional environment, enjoyable team members, a feeling of achievement every day and a competitive salary. Join the team that strives for best in class, keeping our students and teachers at the focus of everything we do. If this sounds like the adventure for you, we’d like to hear from you.
Please send inquiries to:
Chartwell School Executive Search
2511 Numa Watson Road
Seaside, CA 93955
Respond to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone (831) 394-6800
Fax (831) 394-6809