REPORTS TO: ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF STUDENT LIFE & HOUSING
STATUS: PART-TIME, EXEMPT, 10-MONTH
The residence director (RD) is a part-time live-in position that reports directly to the assistant director of student life and housing (AD). As a member of the Student Life staff, the RD is responsible for the general welfare of all students, encouraging them to maximize their intellectual and social growth through development of the whole person. The RD is expected to positively influence, contribute to and improve the quality of life of the residential student through programming, enforcing College policies and procedures and by forming individual relationships with each student in their residential community.
Residence Director Responsibilities:
- Manages a residential living community ranging from 75 to 120 residents varying from residence hall living to apartment living.
- Supervises and assesses 3 to 5 paraprofessional resident assistant (RA) staff members.
- Participates in 24 hour on-call responsibilities along with fellow RDs (including break periods).
- Administrates weekly RA staff meetings and monthly RA one-on-one meetings.
- Attends weekly RD meetings and weekly one-on-ones with AD. Submits weekly and on-call reports to AD.
- Assists with planning and implementing community programs with RAs, according to the community development area outlined in the RA position description (available on the Lake Erie College website).
- Assists in the training, selection and evaluation of RA staff.
- Facilitates resident check-in and check-out process.
- Provides crisis intervention when needed and makes appropriate referrals.
- Intercedes regarding policy violations and makes appropriate referrals.
- Provides sensitive, responsive and well-informed guidance to residents regarding individual and collective concerns.
- When needed, serves as conduct officer and facilitates roommate mediations.
- Is visible and accessible to residents within the RD’s community.
- Represents the Office of Student Life at College functions and events.
- Other duties as assigned by the assistant director of student life & housing/director of student life & engagement and/or vice president for student affairs.
Student Engagement & Inclusion Responsibilities:
- Maintains 15 to 20 office hours per week within the Student Life Office.
- Co-coordinates large-scale College traditions, such as Homecoming Week, Field Day, Mountain Day, Senior Week.
- Co-coordinates large-scale Student Life Office programs, such as Welcome Week, Casino Night, Intramural Program, Alcohol & Drug Awareness Week, Health & Wellness Week, Leadership Development Week, Bystander Awareness Week.
- Co-coordinates diversity and inclusion programs, both campus-wide and in the residence halls.
- Coordinates community service opportunities, both campus-wide and with the resident assistants.
- Creates programs to assist specific populations, including but not limited to commuter students, graduate students, first-year students, at-risk students, international students, etc.
- Assists with the scheduling and care of Stormy mascot.
- Serves as advisor to the Campus Activities Board and assists with advising student groups, where needed.
- Streamlines facility and budgetary requests for programs and student organizations.
- Assesses student programming interests and needs and performs semester evaluations of programs and events.
- Works with the residence life programming & training coordinator with planning and tracking events.
- Works with the resident assistants in the Living Learning Communities to program, based on needs of residents.
- Creates and maintains advertisement for events and programs, including but not limited to “The Stall Street Journal”.
- Monitors and updates Student Life Office social media outlets and website information.
- Assists the director of student life & engagement with programming initiatives and events and serves as contact person for such events.
- Collaborates with other offices for programming purposes, such as Office of Residence Life & Housing, Academic Affairs, Career Services, Financial Aid, Athletics, etc.
- Other duties as assigned by the assistant director of student life & housing.