| Company Overview:|
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 27th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2016, as well as Glassdoor’s annual Employees’ Choice Awards 2017. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
The Senior Computational Biologist will provide bioinformatics support in the development of next-generation sequencing applications to characterize the spectrum and clinical significance of genetic mutations in human tumors. He/she will develop new and utilize existing software and database systems to track experimental parameters, catalyze technology development, and analyze next-generation sequence data.
- Design, develop, and operate computational pipelines for the analysis of next-generation sequencing data.
- Analyze data sets to discover and annotate cancer-causing genetic mutations in tumor specimens.
- Evaluate performance of novel technology platforms and assays.
- Work directly with research groups to analyze biomedical data and address scientific problems with bioinformatics techniques and tools and train researchers in the use of computational and bioinformatics tools
- Develop, refine, and improve bioinformatics tools for interpretation of large genomic data sets.
- Evaluate and test third party software packages.
- Track specimen information, experimental and analysis parameters, performance metrics, and genomic results in databases
- Manage and archive large data sets from next-generation sequencing experiments
- Maintain detailed records of all analyses
- Present results and progress updates at lab meetings and make presentations to experimental and scientific collaborators
- Attend seminars, lectures, and training courses to learn new computational biology skills to remain up to date with the cancer genomics field and learn new programming languages or techniques as necessary.
PhD in Bioinformatics or closely related discipline with at least 2 years of Bioinformatics software and system development required. Cross-disciplinary and strong analytic skills, as well as broad experience with bioinformatics methods, databases, software, and computer programming languages are essential. May lead and direct the work of others.
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.