Founded in 1976, the Fulbright Association (FA) is the alumni association of the Fulbright Scholarship Program in the United States. Fulbright Scholars travel to 165 countries to teach, research, and engage in ways that promote peace and understanding. Returning scholars and other alumni join the FA to magnify the impact of the Fulbright experience by advocating for the program to Congress and by offering international educational programs: community outreach, events sponsored by 50 chapters nationwide, a national conference, and “impact” travel. The FA also awards the prestigious Fulbright Prize to world leaders. Previous recipients include Nelson Mandela, Jimmy Carter, Bill and Melinda Gates, and Doctors without Borders.
This year, the FA is focused on expanding advocacy efforts, working with chapters to share the Fulbright experience with communities nationwide, expanding membership with clear messaging and marketing, piloting a networking portal for members, developing an enriched digital presence in social media, and supporting chapters through development grants and other services. Chapter Relations and Membership will play a vital role in the success of the Association, helping to raise the profile of the Fulbright community, to drive membership and engagement, and to ensure the effectiveness of advocacy and educational programs.
Reporting to and in partnership with the Executive Director, with a dotted reporting line to the Deputy Director, the Manager will support chapters and members in ways that are contemporary, dynamic, creative and measurable in impact. We welcome applications from dedicated, hard-working and detail-oriented professionals who have worked with dispersed and varied stakeholders, and who believe in the mission of international exchange and understanding. The Manager plays a central role in helping the Association realize a growing vision of chapter engagement focused on community outreach and grassroots advocacy for the Fulbright program. S/he will help drive individual membership growth and satisfaction in outreach and advocacy, as well, providing strong and effective operational management.
Role and Responsibilities: Chapter Relations
- Oversee and manage chapter relations for the FA, providing guidance and assistance to leaders in 50 chapters nationwide, including support for program development, event planning, and board governance and elections.
- Supporting and in coordination with the Chapter Advisory Board, organize and provide regular training sessions, online and in person, to chapter leaders in areas such as governance, program development, community outreach and political advocacy.
- Help chapter leaders to focus resources on community outreach and grassroots advocacy by building relations with partner institutions, preparing presentation materials, and identifying sponsors.
- Provide guidance and assistance in the formation of new chapters, supporting founders as they adopt bylaws, recruit and provide orientation to other leaders, and launch programming.
- Administer and manage grants received by the FA to support chapter development, including the proposal process, selection of awards, oversight of programmatic requirements, and reporting to grant providers. Offer recommendations and implement improvements to this system to promote innovation and effective programming while lessening administrative burdens. Collaborate with the Finance Consultant on grant disbursement and expenditures. Provide impact analyses.
- In coordination with the Communications and Marketing Manager, assist chapters with creating and updating websites, and promoting and celebrating activities on social media and other outlets.
Role and Responsibilities: Membership
- In collaboration with the Executive Director and Deputy Director, set goals and agree upon strategy for driving growth in individual memberships year on year.
- Coordinate with partner institutions, such as the US Department of State and the Institute of International Education, to build and maintain databases of Fulbright alumni. Oversee shared and FA membership databases to ensure they are accurate and up-to-date.
- In coordination with the Communications and Marketing Manager, promote membership by developing recruitment materials and marketing to prospects.
- Manage, drive and track membership enrollments, including renewal of lapsed memberships.
- Provide support as needed to the Deputy Director to drive institutional membership campaigns. (Institutional memberships are held primarily by universities.)
- Manage efforts to pilot a networking, digital platform for members, in collaboration with partners such as international Fulbright commissions.
- Other duties as required.