Employer: Highland Park – Highwood Legal Aid Clinic, Highland Park, IL
Practice Areas: DV specialization, Background in Family Law
Supervised by: Managing Attorney
Location: Highland Park (Lake County), Illinois
The Position: The Attorney provides legal services to clients who live or work in the communities of Highland Park and Highwood, Illinois, and who are victims of Domestic Violence. Because the Clinic also provides immigration law services, the Attorney will work closely with our Director of Immigration Law on U-Visas and VAWA Self-Petitions.
This is a new position, so the Attorney will design a DV program to meet the needs of potential clients and the capacities of our volunteer attorneys. In addition, the Attorney may collaborate with clinic staff and volunteers to improve client legal services in other areas of the law besides domestic violence.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead all phases of law practice, including intake and initial client interviews, drafting pleadings, engaging in discovery, taking depositions, drafting and briefing motions, appearance before the Lake County Domestic Violence Court for emergency orders and plenary hearings, and before the Lake County Family Court for motion hearings, trials and, if necessary, appeals.
- Work with immigration attorney if there is an immigration aspect of the case.
- Supervise, train, and support the professional growth of staff attorneys, volunteer attorneys and legal interns.
- Build, manage, and maintain relationships with outside counsel and other legal advocacy community organizations.
- Collaborate with our team to identify, develop, revise and implement client intake systems, case management, litigation protocols and related systems.
Develop, maintain relationships with external audiences and key stakeholders, including local partners who provide services like counseling and shelter to our clients