Reporting directly to the Chief Information Officer and partnering with the Director of Technical Services, the Senior Network & Systems Administrator takes ownership in ensuring success in all areas of information technology at PDS. S/he is responsible for planning and implementing a network to support the school’s goals, and for ensuring its effective operation and maintenance. S/he also performs hands-on network administration, and provides high level technical expertise and support to teammates and customers. Serving as the organization’s Information Security Officer, the Senior Network & Systems Administrator develops security policy, assures that solutions adhere to policy, assesses and communicates risk, educates the school community on matters of information security, and performs other security related tasks. The Senior Network Engineer is a service-oriented team player who embraces both strategy and operations. S/he welcomes new ideas, seeks out technologies that will best serve the school, and thoughtfully proposes, implements, secures, maintains and supports these technologies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
System Design and Management:
Works with Director of Technical Services to define the school’s enterprise network strategy, and assures that proposed solutions are consistent with this strategy.
- Leads design, implementation and support of all aspects of the school network. Includes wired and wireless networks, servers, and their interaction with user devices. End devices include Windows, Mac OSX and iOS.
- Optimizes virtualization in system design.
- Vets and recommends appropriate cloud solutions.
- Effectively prepares proposals and presents plans to management.
- Leads development and implementation of policies and procedures for all technologies.
- Assures that effective, secure and efficient processes are identified, documented and followed.
- Implements and manages backup and disaster recovery operations and policies, assuring adequate redundancy of critical systems. Plays a key role in disaster recovery and business continuity planning.
- Participates in strategic IT planning.
- Automates and streamlines tasks to improve operational efficiency.
- Regularly reports to management regarding system health, uptime, security/risk and ongoing project progress.
- Work with Director of Technical Services to assure that all system management, maintenance and support duties are met.
- Effectively documents systems and processes.
System Setup, Administration and Support:
- With Director of Technical Services, supports and maintains all systems, and assures redundancy of expertise in all areas.
- Plans, installs and maintains server hardware and switching/routing equipment.
- Installs, configures, optimizes, supports and secures/hardens all server operating systems.
- Installs and oversees the maintenance and support of server-based applications and services.
- Manages users in an Active Directory environment.
- Analyzes and resolves problems.
- Resolves issues escalated via the service desk process.
- Provides technical support to users as needed.
- Serves as the school’s Information Security Officer.
- Creates, implements and enforces computer, data and network security policies.
- Leads technology risk assessment and risk management initiatives.
- Hardens and regularly reviews configurations of network hardware.
- Assesses, mitigates and manages risk of cloud systems. Assures appropriate agreements and oversight are in place for cloud vendors and other third parties.
- Oversees disaster recovery and IT business continuity planning.
- Educates peers and users regarding security matters, and drives user security awareness program.
- Assures that sensitive information is appropriate managed and protected.
- Balanced security, access, and availability as appropriate for a creative, independent school environment.
- Thoroughly vets proposed hardware, software, systems and cloud solutions regarding risk, and makes appropriate recommendations to school leadership based on these assessments.
ADDITIONAL COMPETENCIES (ABILITIES)
- Supervises third parties and contracted personnel involved with school network. May ultimately supervise other FTEs.
- Assures the creation, existence, quality, and accuracy of necessary server and network related documentation. Maintains full, current documentation for all systems and processes.
- Professionally represents IT department while serving on committees, work groups, etc.
- Efficiently manages all aspects of assigned projects, from requirement gathering through design and implementation. Projects may range from small to large scale.
- Provides excellent service to IT customers through system availability, technical support, training, and highly effective communication.
- Effectively communicates with all internal and external constituents at all levels in order to successfully perform duties.
- May supervise other staff and/or external contractors. Must be a capable leader among peers, eager to move the team forward, even when not in an official leadership role.
- Supports IT teammates in their tasks, acting as a mentor when appropriate.
- Coordinate with other departments regarding telecommunications systems.
- Supports escalated workstation issues when appropriate.
- Maintains effective working relationships with the IT staff and the school community. Collaborates well with team and across community.
- Participates actively in technology planning and operational activities to ensure IT objectives are addressed.
- Willing and eager to take on diverse tasks and responsibilities as needed.
- Maintains current skills through training, research, peer networking, etc.
- Carries out other duties and responsibilities as assigned.