| UW Medicine |
RN3/Assistant Nurse Manager/Education/ Quality
UW Medicine Transfer Center/ Community CareLine
TITLE: Assistant Nurse Manager/ RN 3 Education / Quality
RESPONSIBLE TO: Health Service Manager
SUMMARY: Under general direction by the Health Services Manager, the Assistant Nurse Manager (ANM) utilizes the nursing process to prescribe, prioritize, delegate, and provide safe, allocation of resources for all staff.. The ANM makes independent judgments, decisions, and take action regarding a wide range of routine and complex staffing and unit workflow issues.
The ANM performs specific leadership functions related to clinical practice, education, and/or quality management as delegated by and in collaboration with the Health Services Manager and other members of the leadership team. The ANM provides leadership for unit and departmental activities that promote.
In addition, the ANM Education/ Quality will provide support to the unit leadership team for the assurance of clinical workforce competence. Support is provided to all staff any day and any shift as determined by need/demand. Emphasizing patient safety, staff safety, organizational integration, and service excellence the ANME provides leadership and resources.
Staff Competency Assessment and Development
1. Partners with appropriate other members of the leadership team to plan, implement and evaluate unit based orientation program for permanent, temporary, and contract staff utilizing a performance based development approach.
2. Facilitates individualized orientation process for newly hired staff (RN and Program Coordinators)
3. Evaluates orientees' baseline attention to training, demonstrated skills, attitude and philosophy fit with HMC missions and values; records and reports concerns to unit managers.
4. Registers, tracts, and records the completion of unit orientation and competency completion for various staff levels using the LMS as designed.
5. Collaborates in the development/revision of clinical competencies.
6. Collaborates with unit leadership and the development and validation of unit specific competencies.
7. Acts as Master Preceptor: trains, mentors, and evaluates effectiveness of unit based preceptors
8. Evaluates assigned staff at prescribed intervals (6 months, annual) after approval by manager
9. Provides just in time feedback to staff regarding clinical, interpersonal, and communication performance
10. Involves manager for staff who resist feedback or who fail to improve performance
11. Participates in interviewing and makes recommendations on candidates for hire being mindful of baseline clinical, behavioral, and communication competencies.
Staff Continuing Education and Quality Assessment
1. Promotes and supports a high functioning environment that fosters continuing learning and professional development.
2. Partners with unit leadership to plan, implement and evaluate educational offerings designed to enhance the delivery of quality care and safe practices. (In-services, CE, equipment education).
3. Partners with unit leadership to plans, implements and evaluates educational offerings designed to enhance staff leadership and operational decision making (Charge, Preceptor)
4. Assists nursing staff in identifying and meeting their ongoing educational goals.
5. Utilizes theories of adult education and interactive learning in formal and informal trainings.
6. Participates in programs that support staff education and development (CPR instructor, core curriculum, ANM orientation, and consortium).
7. Participates in the development of educational and training plans.
8. Participates in ongoing area specific training.
9. Participates in the ongoing quality evaluation of all staff members
Consultation/Support of Quality/Safety Priorities
1. Promotes the use of central educational, quality, and safety resources to support quality patient care
2. Participates in departmental policy/ procedure development and interpretation for members of the heath care team
1) Performs charge nurse duties
2) Role models collaboration and best practice communications.
3) Assists in staff schedule in collaboration with ANM - Operations
4) Ensures staff are trained and supports unit based efforts for operation, HR, payroll initiatives
Internal Relations /Teamwork
1. Promotes a healthy work environment
2. Resolves conflicts tactfully, flexibly and diplomatically
3. Demonstrates ability to compromise, cooperate, and negotiate appropriately.
4. Demonstrate maturity, poise, responsiveness and judgment in day to day activities.
5. Collaborates and promotes team building with all disciplines and departments.
6. Inspires teams and individuals to give their best to achieve desired patient, team and organizational outcomes
7. Creates an environment that is conductive to staff growth, development, and satisfaction
8. Has a strong reputation as a competent, quality resource.
9. Respects and welcomes diversity in staff and team.
Organization/Time Management/Decision Making/Leadership
1. Establishes effective work priorities, methods and project flow
2. Meets deadlines, project goals, and follows up on staff/clinical/customer satisfaction issues in a timely manner.
3. Displays resourcefulness and innovation in decision making, problem solving, and trainings
4. Maintains accessibility, response and follow through to off shift and weekend staff
5. Assumes responsibility for own professional learning needs including attendance at relevant educational offerings, completion of annual evaluation and competencies.
6. Participates and provides leadership to organizational committees, taskforces, and work groups.
7. Demonstrates ability to consider the impact of decisions and actions on the overall organizational mission and goals
8. Models service excellence in daily practice.
1. Maintains a safe environment, identifies and reports all safety related issues to the proper departments.
2. Uses policy and procedures, reference manuals and qualified resources for guidance
3. Responds appropriately to emergency situations and drills
4. Ensures related practices and teachings are compliant with regulatory agencies and standards.
5. Intervenes to address illegal /unethical /unprofessional professional practice of any member of the health care team
6. Promotes practices and decisions that reduce human error and promote staff/patient safety
7. Participates in development and implementation of quality assessment and improvement programs within the department and across units/specialties
8. Identifies and explores ways to support a cost effective environment
9. Participates in the preparation and process of regulatory surveys
10. Participates in unit and organizational emergency preparedness
Patient Care Management
1. Maintains expert clinical knowledge base related to clinical area and practice standard for assigned areas.
2. Maintains appropriate age related competencies for assigned areas.
3. Support, practices and teaches research based nursing practice.
4. Acts as a timely resource to staff in problem solving involving clinical issues
5. Maintains professional relationship through memberships in professional organizations, networking, and high professional visibility (certification, speaking, publishing, etc.)