| As the region's only Level I Trauma center, Harborview Medical Center is well known for innovations and excellence in trauma care and its centers of emphasis: Trauma, Burn, Neurosciences, AIDS/STD CARER, and mentally and medically vulnerable populations. In addition to the centers of emphasis, HMC serves a mission population for King County. Harborview employees are committed to the vital role the institution plays in the immediate community, as well as the entire Northwest region. HMC is owned by King County and managed by the University of Washington (UW) and serves as a training site for UW's School of Medicine. |
The UW is proud to be one of the nation's premier educational and research institutions. Our people are the most important asset in our pursuit of achieving excellence in education, research, and community service. Our staff not only enjoys outstanding benefits and professional growth opportunities, but also an environment noted for diversity, community involvement, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits, and natural beauty. As an employee you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs. For a complete description of our benefits for this position, please view this page.
The Harborview Urology Clinic has an outstanding opportunity for a FULL-TIME FIXED DURATION APPOINTMENT PATIENT SERVICES SPECIALIST 1-TRAINEE OR PSS 2 (Day Shifts) to serve the Urology Clinic and other 7MB services. The Patient Services Specialist (PSS) coordinates clerical, financial, and support activities for patient care in the clinics. Reporting to the PSS Supervisor (Operations Supervisor) the PSS receives patients and their families to the clinic and facilitates contact between the patient/family and appropriate discipline. The PSS also participates in clinic and selected divisional activities to promote effective problem solving and communication.
- Greet patients and families.
- Ensure positive and professional first impression of the clinic.
- Maintain pleasant atmosphere of waiting areas.
- Perform basic financial eligibility screening, verify patient's health plan and primary care provider, and follow managed care protocols.
- Coordinate clerical patient care activities and/or specialized technical duties unique to the assigned clinic to assure accurate and expedited patient check-in and discharge, including obtaining consents for care and referral information.
- Advocate for the patient/family by locating appropriate staff to address concerns.
- Appropriately direct patients and others to other departments across the medical center.
- Perform cashiering duties for patient co-payments, when appropriate.
- Schedule appointments for patients and order interpreter as needed.
- Develop appointment templates and maintain provider schedules, ensuring changes are made to reflect provider availability.
- Process clinic charge documents to assure completion and accuracy within acceptable timeframe.
- Perform office tasks as needed, including distribution of mail, creation of clinic-specific patient packets, and processing loose hard-copy medical records.
- Maintain and use supplies and equipment in a cost-effective manner.
- Respond to inquiries via appropriate route (telephone, fax, or email) and route to the appropriate individual.
Customer Service & Team Behaviors:
- Demonstrate an atmosphere/attitude of respect for human dignity and the uniqueness of each person encountered in the clinic setting.
- Promote and protect general safety for patients/families/friends and co-workers through adherence to correct procedures, timely communication of messages and test results, and appropriate consultation.
- Act promptly and effectively during an emergency situation.
- Maintain/improve own professional competence, knowledge and skills to meet identified self-learning needs and annual review requirements.
- Apply appropriate policies, procedures, protocols, and standards of practice in performing duties.
- Support development of clinic and divisional efficiency and effectiveness through participation in quality assessment and improvement activities.
- Demonstrate support for clinic and divisional policies and procedures.
- Promote and contribute to the development of team in clinic and working relationships between the clinic and other departments/disciplines.
- Other duties as assigned.
Additional Duties & Competencies:
- Commitment to service excellence
- Computer keyboard proficiency
- Operate office equipment
- Develop basic knowledge of Harborview's geography and resources
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Mission-centered professional practice
- Integrity and compassion
- Patient care advocacy
- Team work/collaborative practice
- Patient/family satisfaction/customer service
- Respect for patient confidentiality