Central Washington University
Central Washington University is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity/Title IX employer committed to providing employment opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, or protected veteran status.
Full/Part Time Full-Time
| || |
| || Job Summary |
| || |
This position provides academic advising, degree planning support, and UNIV 101/102 instruction to students at Ellensburg campus. Academic advisors also provide outreach with students on academic warning, on academic probation, with academic alerts, and who are late to enroll for classes. This position plays a vital role in Student Success at CWU and share the responsibility with faculty and staff to help facilitate strong rates of degree attainment and student retention.
| || Job Duties |
| || |
- Advise students on academic requirements and accessing resources to plan and assist with degree completion
- Counsel exploring and undecided students about majors and minors; providing interventions and/or referrals as necessary
- Advise prospective and incoming first year students and undecided transfer students
- Encourage students to make informed academic decisions and develop individualized academic plans.
- Assist students with course articulation, and recommend appropriate academic course loads and course selections
- Analyze and interpret student data, transcripts, and placement results, as well as university policy and procedures
- Outreach and assist students on academic warning, on academic probation, or with academic alerts, to develop a plan of success
- Maintain up-to-date Advisor Notes, documenting student participation and progress
- Design and deliver presentations to various audiences
- Teach academic advising seminars and/or college success courses (UNIV 101 and/or UNIV 102)
- Collaborate with the Colleges, academic departments, and other university offices (i.e. Career Services, Learning Support Services, and other advising units)
- Support the First Year Experience program and Discover Orientations where academic advising is concerned, providing information and support to new students and their families
- Other duties as assigned
| || Minimum Qualifications |
| || |
- Master's degree
- Experience in academic counseling/advising with young adults and/or adult learners
- Excellent interpersonal, written communication, and presentation skills
- OR applicable combination of education and/or experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Master's degree in college student development, counseling, or related field
- Experience in teaching advising seminars and/or college success courses
- Knowledge of student development theories and best practices in academic advising
- Accountability/Dependability: Accepts responsibility for quality of own work; acknowledges and corrects mistakes. Shows up on time, meets standards, deadlines and work schedules.
- Judgement: Makes timely, informed decisions. Analyzes options and determines appropriate course of action.
- Teamwork: Promotes cooperation and mutual support to achieve goals. Encourages participation and mutual support.
- Adaptability/Flexibility: Responds positively to changing business needs and responsibilities. Adapts approach and methods to achieve results; recovers quickly from setbacks and finds alternatives.
- Commitment to Diversity: Recognizes the value of diversity and helps create environment that supports and embraces diversity.
| || Pay,Benefits, & Work Schedule |
| || |
Salary: $3125-$3598 per month
Schedule/Appointment: Monday- Friday 8am-5pm / 11 Month Appointment
Working Conditions: Work is performed in an indoor office setting with frequent in-person interactions. It is essential to be able to remain at a desk/computer work station for prolonged periods of time, perform extensive data entry and other computer-related tasks and create/maintain filing systems for departmental records. Some evening or weekend work and/or occasional travel may be required.
Benefits: CWU offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental insurance, retirement and optional savings plans, life and disability insurance, along with vacation and sick leave plans depending on employment classification. For additional information please visit: http://www.cwu.edu/hr/benefits-0
| || How To Apply |
| || |
To apply for this position, you must complete the on-line application and attach:
- A detailed cover letter clearly demonstrating how your education and experience: (a) meet the required (and, as applicable, preferred) qualifications, and (b) demonstrate the ability to perform the responsibilities as described by the posting;
- Resume including work history, education, training; and
- Contact information for three professional references.
Screening Begins: May 5, 2017
**Priority will be given to applications received by the screening date. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
| || Contact Information |
| || |
Name: Amy McCoy
Title: Office Assistant
Phone: (509) 963-3553
Website: Exploratory Advising
Please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or 509-963-1202 if you require technical assistance with the on-line application process.
| || Conditions of Employment |
| || |
Prior to employment, final candidate(s) will be required to submit to a background check. All information obtained through background investigations will be strictly confidential and revealed only to those required to have access.