| EOE Statement:|
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
This position is part-time and works approximately 10-15 hours per week. This position is temporary.
Department Name/Job Location:
This position is in the Department of Athletics / Recreation. This position is for the Danforth Campus.
The Team WashU Lifeguard oversees safe operations through preventative supervision at the Millstone Pool located inside the Athletic Complex. Lifeguards provide safe and engaging environments by maintaining constant surveillance of swimmers in the facility; acts immediately and appropriately to secure safety of swimmers in the event of emergency. Provides emergency care and treatment as required until the arrival of emergency medical services.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide swimmer safety through preventative lifeguarding by:
- Deploying effective surveillance techniques
- Enforcing aquatic facility policies and procedures
- Identifying unsafe situations and educating swimmers on safe swim practices
- Reacting immediately to all water and land emergencies within the aquatic facilities
- Ensuring aquatic spaces are adequately supervised when open and unlocked while on duty
- Securing access to aquatic spaces when not open for recreational usage
- Completing pool chemical checks to ensure proper levels prior to allowing swimmers to enter pool at start of every shift
- Relational Service
- Greet and make members/guests feel welcomed as they enter and exit the aquatic facility
- Treat all members and guests with respect
- Create a welcoming presence with the way you present yourself and communicate to all members/guests
- Inspire members and guests to lead a healthy and active lifestyle through participation in WashU Rec programs and services
- Maintain positive communication with members/guests to make everyone feel they belong in our facilities
- Respond promptly to participant’s concerns and follow up when applicable
- Have a kind, patient, understanding and positive attitude
- Communicate clearly with Facility Lead and other Team WashU staff
- Educating members/guests on where to find additional information as necessary
- Assist With Safety
- Take preventative actions to decrease any risk prior to letting members into the aquatic spaces (Unaccompanied children, suspicious behavior, etc.)
- Attend all In-service trainings and meetings
- Assist Team WashU members in emergency situations by:
o Maintaining clear communication through radio or phone with Team WashU staff during emergency situation
o Contact appropriate emergency personal including EST, WUPD, or other WashU Rec Professional Staff
- Remain confident and calm during emergencies
- Know the Emergency Action Plan (EAP) and your role as a lifeguard
- Aid Team WashU by completely filling out Incident/ Accident reports from aquatic spaces
- High school diploma and current American Red Cross Lifeguarding for the Professional Rescuer certifed
- Current American Red Cross Lifeguard , CPR, AED and First Aid certifications
- Excellent communication skills
- Have an interest in inspiring all recreation participants to build habits of wellness
- Availability to work early mornings, weekday, and weekend shifts
1 year experience as a lifeguard
The hiring range for this position is $10- $11 per hour.
This position is not eligible to receive benefits.
Internal Applicant Instruction:
Please attach a copy of your most current signed performance evaluation (completed within the last 18 months) to your online account. If you have not received a performance evaluation, you may provide two current signed letters of recommendation (written within the last 18 months), preferably to include one letter from either a current or recent former supervisor. To attach these documents, go to: My Career Tools, Add Attachment, Attachment Type – Performance Reviews or Letters of Recommendation.
Applicant Special Instructions:
The selection process for this position will include a water skills test.