Senior Library Specialist- Technical Services
The Library is seeking applications for the position of Senior Library Specialist to work in the Technical Services-department. The successful candidates will perform skilled tasks in Technical Services in support of the Library's mission. The Sr. Library Specialist acquires and processes informational materials for the Brown University Library, describes the intellectual content and attributes of the Libraryâ??s information resources, effectively organizes these resources for best use by specific fields of study and performs functions related to the maintenance of bibliographic, holdings, order, and authority records in the Libraryâ??s online library system(s). This is a full-time position working Monday â??Friday as a member of the Libraryâ??s bargaining unit staff.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Serves as liaison with subject specialists and library users on matters regarding the acquisition of, and access to library materials
- Searches online and offline resources in order to identify, acquire, and describe library materials
- Determines effective source of supply for library materials and assigns vendors accordingly
- Orders, monitors, receives, and processes acquisitions in a varietyof languages and formats encompassing firm orders, approval plans, purchase plans, exchanges, subscriptions, standing orders, gifts, and depository agreements.
- Establishes and maintains business relationships with vendors and publishers and resolves problems related to the acquisition of library materials
- Maintains, updates, and corrects vendor file information; inputs new vendor file information
- Searches and orders out-of-print material
- Searches, orders, and catalogs rush and reserve requests as received
- Initiates, processes, reviews, and verifies financial transactions including p-card, wire transfers, and online payment tools
- Monitors fund balances
- Coordinates workflow related to bibliographic searching and processing of accepted gift materials
- Sorts, inventories, and displays gifts to assist with their selection and/or review
- Resolves problems related to the acquisition of, and OPAC access to library materials
- Catalogs and classifies library materials in any format and language using online and printed resources according to established guidelines
- Creates, edits, and converts bibliographic, holdings and authority records for all formats
- Applies various metadata standards to describe digital image collections and encode finding aids to manuscript collections
- Assists with maintaining currency and reliability of links to electronic resources including troubleshooting broken links
- Verifies, assigns and reconciles subject headings, other access points, and call numbers using data from online and offline sources, and established guidelines
- Inventories, arranges, and indexes collections with unique characteristics
- Generates and reviews reports
- Trains, coordinates work, directs, and records payroll for student assistants
- Trains and provides assistance to co-workers
- Unpacks, shelves, and/or moves library materials
- Performs related duties as required
Bachelorâ??s degree or equivalent experience
Knowledge of one or more Western European languages
Relevant work related experience, preferred
Computer skills, ability to use standard computer software packages
Capacity to learn new technologies and systems necessary to effective, continued job performance
Ability to interact favorably with co-workers and library users
Oral and written communication skills
Eyesight which permits close work
Ability to perform detailed work accurately with reasonable speed
Knowledge of one or more foreign languages may be required
Successful completion of a test may be required
Recruiting Start Date:2017-03-31-07:00
Job Posting Title:Senior Library Specialist
Time Type:Full time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:37.5
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact email@example.com.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.