NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Senior Research Technician.
In this role, the successful candidate will be responsible for performing advanced lab duties under general supervision as well as more advanced duties under direct supervision. This position assists senior and supervisory technicians in all advanced procedures.
- Lab Duties - advanced lab duties, under general supervision as well as more advanced duties under direct supervision. Assists senior and supervisory technicians in all advanced procedures. In addition to those duties expected of an Associate Research Technician, Research Technicians may be expected to coordinate the repair and preventive maintenance of lab equipment. Additionally, is expected to assist in experiments using established protocols and procedures, and records results of experiments.
- Assist in Developing Procedures - Assists in implementing new procedures and protocols to support experiments. Participates actively in developing, recommending and implementing new approved procedures, or modifications to existing protocols and procedures. Maintains and updates technical knowledge.
- Communication/Relationship with Others - Cooperates, communicates and relates well to all levels of Medical Center. Listens carefully to others in order to respond appropriately, answer questions or obtain needed information. Communicates ideas, problems, suggestions, and messages in a timely and effective manner. Maintains the confidentiality of all research information.
- Judgment/Decision-Making - Is able to recognize problems as they occur; and through the application of appropriate policy/ procedure, determine and/or recommends the appropriate solution. Seeks guidance as necessary for the performance of duties asks appropriate questions when in doubt and utilizes reference sources/materials to endure accuracy. Advises appropriate personnel of situations/problems requiring intervention or follow-up attention.
- Supervise the staff in clinical and research tissue collections.
- Support Pathologist Research Scientist and Director of CBRD in the development of specific pathology research projects.
- Coordinate the work flow of pathology research projects among different functions outside the CBRD ( e.g pathology department, research IT).
- Review pathology reports and documents to identify eligible patients specimens.
- Understand the principles of all research tests performed in research clinical trials.
- Generate research project reports.
- Assign and allocate staff according to workload.
- Write, establish, and revise relevant Standard Operating Procedures and/or work instructions.
- Ensure quality control, instrument maintenance, and performance verifications are performed in a timely manner.
- Trains new employees.
- Adheres to department policies and procedures.
- Perform bench work as needed.
- Monitor inventory of supplies and reagents.
- Track study status as appropriate.
- Serve as secondary contact for Sponsors regarding all aspects of specimens collections of assigned protocol(s).
- Design specifications and monitor production of specific collection kits.
- Create and maintain laboratory manuals (general and study-specific) and other related study-specific documents.
- To qualify you must have a Bachelor's of Science Degree in Life Sciences or a related field with one year of experience.
- Advanced (beyond basic lab training will be accepted in lieu of experience as assessed by the hiring Principal Investigator).
- Effective oral and written communication skills required.
- Master Degree in science or a health-related field.
- 4+ years of clinical laboratory experience in health care.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong computer skills (word and Excel).
- Strong organizational skills, as well as patience and steady commitment toward achievement of goals.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.