NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Social Worker.
In this role, the successful candidate under the supervision of a Social Work Supervisor provides psychosocial assessment and counseling services, including discharge planning, to patients as assigned by the Department of Social Work.
- Participates in interdisciplinary planning and unit/based interdepartmental meetings when requested.
- Conducts orientation patient/family groups, educating and/or elaborating on information about diagnosis, treatment, options for post-hospital care, etc.
- Assists in the orientation of new staff or staff transferring to a new assignment. When qualified (i.e., three years post-graduate, SIFI eligible) provides supervision to social work interns.
- Prepares statistical documentation of work in assigned areas. Demonstrates skill in presentation of psychosocial information in interdisciplinary rounds, meetings and Rusk evaluation conferences.
- Is competent to care for patients of all age groups. Regularly participates in individual/group supervision.
- Assists in ensuring that patients receive services in accordance with established departmental policies and procedures through review of medical records.
- Performs clinical duties in an independent manner, with appropriate use of supervision.
- Documents all social work activities in a timely manner according to departmental protocols.
- Mobilizes community agencies and other support networks in the interest of patients/families.
- Coordinates interdisciplinary information and recommendations into social work treatment plan and promotes timely post-hospital/ discharge planning in the interest of patients/families.
- Partnering with Care Manager to ensure effective throughput.
- Provides timely and effective psychosocial assessment and evaluations as required. Uses clinical knowledge of psychosocial dynamics and interviewing techniques to gather social history, define problems and develop a relevant treatment plan.
- Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
Minimum Qualifications: To qualify you must have a Master's Degree in social work, or its equivalent (e.g. a higher degree from a social work program that is registered by the New York State Education Department as qualifying for licensure), from a recognized college or university program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) New York State licensure as a Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW) or a New York Education Department-issued limited permit.
Required Licenses: Licensed Social Worker - NYS
Previous experience in a hospital or health-related organization
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.