NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Pharmacy Manager.
In this role, the successful candidate will be responsible for reviewing and preparing chemotherapy for dispensing to patients
- Follows the NYU Langone Medical Center policy and procedures for the security anddistribution of NYU State official prescription blank (or paper).
- Follows NYU Langone Clinical Cancer Center policies and procedures and NYU State Boardof Pharmacy and Federal requirements for medication management. Understands thesecurity and dispensing requirements for all medications including controlled drugs.
- Assists with the security of the pharmacy. Makes recommendations to Head nurse or nursing staff when appropriate. Makes recommendations to Head nurse or nursing staff when appropriate. Uses badge access to enter the clinic and department Reports any unusual behavior to a pharmacist or appropriate authority. Follows department procedures for controlled drugs storage, handling and dispensing. Understands and follows Omnicell restocking procedures.
- Trains and monitors pharmacy technicians. Checks trainees work for completion and accuracy. Explains procedure specific to work environment. Gives suggestions to improve work. Demonstrates patience and attempts to strengthen the trainees performance. Demonstrates patience and attempts to strengthen the trainees performance.
- Observes Aseptic technique and NIOSH guidelines while handing hazardous drugs Uses proper attire and observes hand hygiene policies when handling sterile products Follows proper guidelines for working in a biosafety cabinet Observes guidelines for proper handling of hazardous substances.
- Provides drug information. Provides accurate information to health professionals. Checks necessary references before giving out information. Utilizes text literature and internet as sources of information.
- Contacts the physician for clarification of orders when deviation in the protocol exists. Documents all interactions with all health care professionals in the patients pharmacy profile. Understands and uses standardized language when describing chemotherapy regimens within protocols. This includes an understanding of duration and rates of administration of chemo agents calculated from volume of agent administered.
- Demonstrates an understanding of chemotherapy protocol. Follows and maintains calculation of each chemo agent according to the documented literature in the protocol using prescribe parameters such as body weight, body surface area, creatinine clearance, etc. Has the knowledge to recalculate drug dose and explain the dose modification. Understands pre-admission considerations involved with each protocol. This includes making sure all hydration; pre-medications, antiemetics, lab tests and assessment parameters are met before releasing the chemotherapy.
- Understands classifications of chemo agents such as vesicants and irritants; and there administration, preparation and labeling. Appropriately measures and mixes the correct ingredients checking calculations and expiration dates. Uses appropriate equipment. Checks medications for accuracy, physical characteristics and expiration date. Checks medications for accuracy, physical characteristics and expiration date. Has a second pharmacist or pharmacy technician independently check ingredients, calculations, expiration date and preparation process.
- Demonstrates proper technique and knowledge while preparing chemotherapy. Properly prepares chemotherapy following the 3 R rule: right drug for right patient with the right labeling. Understands and performs sterile technique when preparing chemotherapeutic agents. This includes the washing of hands and arms with approved germicidal soap or using the approved alcohol gel, double gloving, washing of the hood with alcohol, placement of an absorbent sterile field in the hood, placement of all items needed for product preparation in the hood and proper negative pressure technique when drawing up chemo agents under sterile conditions. Understands and adheres to special procedures for preparation of intrathecal and intrapleural preparations.
- Bachelor's Degree in Pharmacy.
- New York State Pharmacy License.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Understanding of chemotherapeutic agents.
- Minimum of two years experience as an oncology pharmacist in a hospital setting.
Required Licenses: Pharmacist License-NYS
Doctor of Pharmacy degree. ASHP Oncology accreditation.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.