Vice President, Government Affairs
Reports to: Executive Vice President
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Office Location: Headquarters, Washington, DC
General Summary: Leads the Association’s federal, state and regulatory affairs programs and provides overall issue support and coordination. Oversees advocacy for PLASTICS at all levels of government and serves as staff liaison to the Public Policy Committee (PPC).
• Work with PPC and Council liaisons to identify public policy priorities for the industry and develop programs and actions to respond to those issues.
• Manage overall relations of the Association with the U.S. Congress, executive branch, state legislative bodies, as well as state and local governments.
• Testify before all government entities and work with Communications Vice President to craft messaging and respond to media inquiries.
• Establish and maintain a political network for issues related to plastics including the PLASTICS PAC and related fundraising activities.
• Work with Council liaisons, PPC and Communications department to establish a functioning process for members’ input on public policy issues and dissemination of critical issues to the membership.
• Advise the Executive Vice President, the President and the Board on pertinent political, legislative and regulatory information.
• Manage/hire lobbyists and other consultants.
• Participate in external programs with counterparts in member companies, coalitions, and other trade associations.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Have fun in your job.
• Internal: Staff, legal counsel and consultants, membership.
• External: Government agencies, federal, state and local representatives, non-member companies, industry coalitions, media and NGOs.