Overview of School
Prospect Sierra School, a prominent East Bay independent school, is seeking a part-time science and garden teaching assistant at the Elementary School campus beginning in August 2017. This position is a 3 days a week position, with weekly responsibilities Tuesdays-Thursdays from 8:30am-3:30pm.
Prospect Sierra is an independent, co-ed K–8 school located on two campuses in El Cerrito, California. Our mission states: “Our exceptional teachers inspire students to seek deep, meaningful understanding; to develop strong academic skills; and to become creative and independent thinkers.” The National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) featured Prospect Sierra as a Model School of the Future, among only seven schools worldwide, in its publication A Guide to Becoming a School of the Future (2011). Please visit our website, www.prospectsierra.org, for more information.
Overview of Position
This position is for an elementary assistant teacher in the science lab and garden. This position is part-time, 3 days per week. This teacher will report to the Elementary Division Head and the Elementary Science Teacher/Green Team Leader. This assistant teacher works closely with the elementary science teacher in order to support first through fourth grade science classes two days a week. This assistant will also support integration of eco-literacy curriculum between science and the garden as well as ongoing garden maintenance and bunny care at the elementary campus one day a week.
As the elementary science/garden assistant teacher, the successful candidate will be responsible for the following:
- Assisting with lesson preparation for labs and hands-on experiments in first-fourth grade science classes weekly
- One on one and small group student support during science classes
- Weekly planning preparation with lead science teacher regarding both science and garden curriculum
- Collaboration with science teacher to integrate science curriculum, eco-literacy, and the garden space
- Provide support to faculty to integrate eco-literacy learning into existing curricula
- Two days a week of facilitating Bunny Care club during lunch recess for first-fourth graders
- Ongoing garden maintenance
- Worm bin maintenance
- Bunny hutch maintenance
- Weekly recess duty
- Attendance at monthly green committee meetings
- Attendance at Wednesday staff meetings will occasionally be necessary and will be determined in collaboration with the elementary division head
Prospect Sierra School’s commitment to diversity and inclusion is reflected in our hiring process; people of color and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
The salary is competitive.
How to Apply
Send a résumé (including contact information for three references) and one-page cover letter to:
Abby Guinn, Elementary School Head