Overview of School
Prospect Sierra School, a prominent East Bay independent school, is seeking a full-time Assistant Teacher at the Elementary School campus beginning in August 2017.
Prospect Sierra is an independent, coed K–8 school located on two campuses in El Cerrito, California. Our mission states: “Our exceptional teachers inspire students to seek deep, meaningful understanding; to develop strong academic skills; and to become creative and independent thinkers.” The National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) featured Prospect Sierra as a Model School of the Future, among only seven schools worldwide, in its publication A Guide to Becoming a School of the Future (2011). Please visit our website, www.prospectsierra.org, for more information.
Overview of Position
The assistant teacher is responsible for providing support to the lead teacher in assisting students both academically and socially. His or her responsibilities may range from working one on one with a student on an academic task, to teaching a class lesson, to guiding students in resolving conflicts. The assistant should be able to:
- head off problems that arise in the course of the day
- anticipate what needs to be done to support the Lead Teacher in creating a positive learning environment
- help in the correcting of school work and homework
- assist in the preparation of classroom materials
- share in the planning of the weekly curriculum
- assist in maintaining a clean, well-organized learning environment
- lead group activities and lessons when needed
- teach small reading and math groups
- teach lessons in a subject area that interests the assistant
- understand the expectations and learning value of each assignment in which s/he participates
- maintain ongoing communication with the lead teacher on classroom
- issues and individual students
- model patience, flexibility, kindness, responsibility, a sense of humor, and a respect for others
- have appropriate and accurate math, spelling and grammar skills
- model neat and legible handwriting
The assistant teacher, as a professional, will be expected to:
- participate in the formal communication with parents, such as parent conferences and report writing
- plan to attend Back-to-School Night and Open House
- attend staff meetings when possible
At Prospect Sierra School, assistant teacher positions are typically full-time. The school recognizes that the scope of an assistant’s work will depend in part on that assistant’s particular schedule and grade, as well as particular teacher training program expectations, which vary depending on the program. Prospect Sierra is committed to supporting assistant teachers who are in credential programs; typically, assistants stay two years in order to support this work.
Prospect Sierra School’s commitment to diversity and inclusion is reflected in our hiring process; people of color and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
The salary is competitive. Benefits included.
How to Apply
Send a résumé (including contact information for three references) and one-page cover letter to:
Abby Guinn, Elementary School Head