The Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer (EVP/COO) reports to and works closely with the President of SUNY Downstate Medical Center and in the President’s absence, serves as the Officer-in-Charge. The EVP/COO will collaborate closely with the Vice President & Chief of Staff, Chief Financial Officer, the Deans of the Colleges of Medicine, Nursing, Graduate School and the School of Public Health and other peer positions reporting to the President in planning, directing and leading the implementation of policies, procedures and practices that govern operations essential to achieving institutional effectiveness of SUNY Downstate Medical Center’s (SUNY DMC) teaching, patient care, research and community service missions.
The EVP/COO is directly responsible for the oversight, leadership and coordination of several critical administrative functions and division/departments including: Human Resources (including Labor Relations and Diversity and Inclusion), Space Planning and Usage, Campus Police/Public Safety, Facilities Management and Development, Student Housing, Student Services, Information Technology, Procurement and Supply Chain Management, the Health Science Center Brooklyn Foundation. The position also includes extensive and intensive interactions with senior executives responsible for Corporate Compliance, the University Physicians of Brooklyn, the University Hospital of Brooklyn and other entities as directed by the President. As EVP/COO, the incumbent will also assume a significant role in the management of affiliated entities such as: BioBAT, Downstate Bio Technology Center, Inc. and StaffCo of Brooklyn, LLC.
The EVP/COO reports directly to the President of Downstate Medical Center.
- Serves as senior leader for the campus in the absence of the President;
- Serves as a senior member of the President’s cabinet and member of the Hospital Governing Board.
- Serves in a significant advisory capacity to the President and other SUNY DMC leaders on a range of issues. This person directs and coordinates the activities of the programs and services under the position’s direct span-of-control, delegating authoritative decision-making to direct reports and holds them accountable for creating a culture of excellence and assuring optimal delivery of programs and services.
- Reviews and evaluates the service results of each department for which he/she is responsible ensuring excellence in the achievement of identified goals and objectives and to provide leadership of these departments with timely and realistic recommendations for continuous service and program improvements.
- Guides the development and implementation of policies, procedures and practices that govern delivery of administrative support services;
- Ensures development and use of tools, systems, and channels of communication that facilitate timely and accurate flow of information among leadership, section heads and all subordinate staff.
- Guides and develops strategies for workforce training and development with increasing opportunities for employee mobility and transparency in employee relations.
- Collaborates with senior leadership to determine needs and develops plans for major organizational changes in response to changing economic, workforce, strategic and programmatic needs impacting infrastructure and operating costs of services;
- In collaboration with the Chief Financial Officer, develops and recommends a divisional operating budget that is consistent with SUNY DMC’s strategic goals and objectives and ensures that assigned areas operate within their budgets.