The Lower School Spanish Teacher is a full time, 10-month position. Lower School teachers maintain a learning environment that supports the Charlotte Preparatory School mission statement and upholds the Four Pillars of Leadership- Respect, Integrity, Perseverance and Courage.
This is an exciting opportunity for a skilled and dedicated individual to be a significant contributor to an outstanding faculty. A love of students and complete dedication to their success, combined with a passion for the Spanish language and culture, effective professional skills, a positive, team-centered personality, and a dedication to life-long learning are all necessary for teaching success at Charlotte Prep. He or she will work with other teachers and staff as a contributing team member to present a cooperative and positive adult work environment.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
Duties of this job include, but are not limited to:
- Provide a cross-curricular experience where proficiency gains are realized through collaboration with content-area teachers
- Develop skills being addressed in Language Arts and Math curriculums, when appropriate;
- Provide a Project-based learning (PBL) experience among the upper grades
- Develop lesson plans and instructional materials to provide differentiated and small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each student and aligned with the diversity and inclusion mission
- Use a variety of instructional strategies, such as inquiry, group discussion, lecture, discovery, etc to facilitate higher level thinking
- Help students engage in acquiring the ability to speak, read and write in Spanish, with a particular focus on oral proficiency in real-life contexts
- Create enthusiasm for language learning as well as Spanish culture and history
- Teach area of specialty to students, utilizing course of study adopted by Charlotte Preparatory School.
- Maintain lesson plans and pacing schedules as part of curriculum mapping
- Establish and maintain standards of student behavior needed to achieve a functional and respectful learning atmosphere in the classroom
- Evaluate students’ academic and social growth, keep appropriate records, and prepare progress reports (if applicable) and report cards
- Communicate with parents through conferences, phone calls, and e-mail to discuss students’ progress and interpret the school program
- Identify student needs and collaborate with other professional staff members in assessing and helping students solve health, attitude, and learning problems
- Create an effective environment for learning through functional and attractive displays, bulletin boards, interest centers, and use of a SmartBoard
- Maintain professional competence through professional growth activities and collaboration.
- Participate cooperatively with the Lower School Head to develop the method by which the teacher will be evaluated in conformance with guidelines
- Participate in grade level, divisional, and full faculty meetings and serve on faculty committees.
- Attend divisional and school-wide required events (i.e open houses, curriculum night)
- Dress professionally as outlined in the faculty handbook
- Present a positive image of Charlotte Preparatory School to the outside community, including social networking sites
- Other duties as assigned by Head of Lower School
Directly reports to the Head of Lower School