Medicine-Anesthesiology Research- Open Rank Position Research Specialist, Lead Research Specialist Laboratory - (170000MN)
The Department of Anesthesiology Research the University of Maryland, Baltimore is searching for creative, motivated, and disciplined candidate to join a dynamic team. The position involves independently providing guidance and technical expertise to laboratory research projects and overseeing the laboratory's research activities. This position is responsible for ensuring design, development, documentation and implementation of research procedures and protocols using a variety of complex activities. The goals of the Department of Anesthesiology Research Laboratory are to conduction federal funded state-of-the-art research projects in the areas of brain ischemia and hemorrhagic shock.
This position will be filled either as a Lead Research Specialist Laboratory or Laboratory Research Specialist based upon the selected candidates qualifications, experience, and skill level.
UMB offers a generous benefits package that includes 10 vacation days, 11 personal and holidays, 5 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and supplemental retirement options; and limited tuition remission for employees enrolled at UMB.
- Specialist: Perform independent project(s) and participate in the design of research studies. Perform laboratory research activities such as monoclonal antibody production, recombinant DNA techniques, protein purification, oxidation and transport assays using radio labeled compounds, cultures and specimens; autoradiograms and photomicrographs, animal surgery, etc. Compile, analyze, and interpret research data using various relevant computer software applications. Conduct library research and participates in editing and preparing manuscripts, scientific illustrations and computer graphics for publication. Contribute to the preparation of journal articles and grant proposals. Presents research findings. Administer day-to-day laboratory operations including monitoring the budget, ensuring quality control and safety compliance, developing policies and procedures, and ordering supplies.
- Lead Specialist: In addition to Specialist duties, the Lead Specialist leads the development, execution, and analysis of project research studies. Revises studies, in consultation with upper management or principal investigator, to meet changing needs and requirements and enforces standards. Trains and guides students and/or other laboratory staff. Leads development of policies, procedures and/or methods for laboratory experimentation.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Rank and salary will be commensurate with education and experience
Lead Specialist: Bachelor's degree in biology, chemistry, or related field of study and five (5) years' experience in laboratory research including three (3) years in the relevant research specialization.
Supervisory experience in training, work coordination, and monitoring work of others preferred.
Specialist: Bachelor's degree in biology, chemistry, or related field of study and three (3) years' experience in laboratory research including two (2) years in the relevant research specialization.
Equivalent combination of related education and experience may be considered.
* Bachelor's degree in an unrelated field with at least 18 credits in a field related to the research of the laboratory, or Bachelor's degree in unrelated field with at least one year of experience in a field directly related to the research laboratory. Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
May require training related to occupational safety and health, environmental compliance, shipping of hazardous materials and/or ionizing radiation.
Based on level hired, the candidate will be expected to have some or all of the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Ability to understand and utilize scientific/medical terminology and research theory in both oral and written communications. Ability to take a lead role in performing and directing various advanced routine, and maintenance procedures. Ability to perform independent projects and to serve as a consultant in area of technical specialty. Ability to design and recommend changes to research projects and/or area of technical specialty. Ability to use measurable and verifiable information for making decisions or judgments. Knowledge and assurance of compliance issues related to laboratory activities. Skill in statistical programming, interpretation and data analysis using statistical software as well as spreadsheet and database software applications. Ability to diagnose equipment malfunctions and dismantles and repair equipment. Ability to network with, and present information to key groups and individuals. Ability to conduct library research and participate in the preparation of journal articles.
If accommodations are needed for a disability, please contact Human Resource Services at 410-706-2606, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
: Exempt Staff - 00000
Employee Class Exempt Contingent II
Full Time/Part Time: Full-Time
: Day Job
: Medicine - Anesthesiology
: Apr 6, 2017
: Apr 26, 2017, 11:59:00 PM