Please submit a resume, cover letter, and list of 3 references (at least 2 previous employers) as one document when applying. All candidates who are current employees of CCE Tompkins must apply as internal applicants. Please note that changes cannot be made to an application once it is submitted. This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is identified. For more information about how to apply, pay rate, and benefits, please see the message at the bottom of this posting.
This position is part time (32 hours per week), benefits eligible position. Further details are available at the bottom of this description.
EFNEP Nutrition Educator
This position will implement public education to improve healthy food and lifestyle choices among limited resource families and individuals encompassing all age groups throughout the county. This includes presenting a series of lessons that focus on general nutrition, food preparation, food safety and food budgeting. Nutrition education may take place at community centers, schools, agencies or in participant homes. Recruitment of participants is also included as part of the workday. Collect and Manage participant data ensuring confidentiality at all times.
Funding for the program is through the Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program (EFNEP) as part of the National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA), an agency within the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA).
- Associates Degree or equivalent education (High School Diploma/ GED and 1 year relevant experience).
- Proficiency with windows-based software including use of the internet and navigation with various browsers as well as Microsoft Office proficiency including Outlook, Word, Excel, and Publisher
- Ability to transport supplies and equipment.
- Valid driver's license and ability to pass insurance screening of driving record.
- Ability to meet travel requirements associated with this position.
- Ability to meet acceptable background check standards.
- Ability to work flexible hours which may include evenings and/or weekends, as appropriate.
- Nutrition-related knowledge/experience/background preferred
- Must be comfortable purchasing and preparing foods and reviewing and following recipes
- Experience in adult and youth education or other relevant work experience
- Familiarity with the community in which the work will take place
- Experience working with the program audience (families with limited resources)
- Ability to present effective and relevant educational lessons to program audience (one-on-one and group) and work with diverse audiences of all ages and maintain cultural sensitivity.
- Good judgment and problem solving skills and ability to keep information confidential.
- Ability to plan and organize personal work responsibilities according to priorities developed with the immediate supervisor
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively as part of a team.
Responsibilities/ Essential Functions:
Program Delivery (85%):
- Utilizing existing program materials and educational framework, teach program materials to adult and youth participants in the Nutrition Program.
- Implement lesson plans using current and approved curricula and supplemental materials, and tailor appropriate programming based on identified participant needs.
- Inform participants of other Extension programs, community agencies, and services.
- Collaborate with community agencies that serve the program audience.
Program Evaluation (5%):
- Implement program evaluation as designed.
Coordination/ Operation (5%):
- Coordinate short- and long-term work schedule and keep supervisor informed of any necessary changes.
- Perform routine data collection utilized by the program ensuring confidentiality of all date throughout the process.
- Maintain record of class participants, complete reports, and accurately collect and prepare paperwork as required for the program evaluation process.
- Recruit participants for program and graduate the programmed number of adult and youth participants in the Nutrition program.
- Maintain extreme confidentiality of information regarding all program participants.
Professional Improvement (5%):
- In cooperation with Supervisor and/or Executive Director, jointly develop and pursue a professional development plan as a means to increase competencies relative to position accountabilities and to address changes and Association priorities.
- Collaborate in activities that are in general support of Cornell Cooperative Extension and perform other duties as assigned.
Health and Safety (Applies to All Duties):
- Support the Association to maintain a safe working environment.
- Be familiar with and strive to follow any applicable federal, state, local regulations, Association health and safety policy/procedure/requirement and standard.
- Act proactively to prevent accidents/injuries and communicate hazards to supervisors when identified.
EEO/ EPO and Policy (Applies to All Duties):
- Appreciate and embrace diversity in all interactions with clientele, staff, volunteers and the public.
- Assist the Cornell Cooperative Extension system in reaching out to diverse audiences.
- Aware of, and adheres to, established Cornell Cooperative Extension Association of Tompkins County policies, procedures and Cornell Cooperative Extension Skills for Success.
- Contribute to the overall success of the organization by performing all assigned duties in a professional, timely and accurate manner.
Excellent benefits, based on eligibility, including:
- Vacation, Sick and Personal time
- Paid Holidays
- NYS Health Insurance Program (including Dental Insurance)
- NYS Retirement
- Long-term Disability Insurance
- Voluntary Tax Deferred Annuity
- Voluntary Flexible Spending Accounts
- Voluntary Group Universal Life Insurance
- Voluntary Personal Accidental Insurance
- Voluntary Legal Plan Insurance
- Voluntary Long Term Care Insurance
- Voluntary Auto and Homeowner's Insurance
- Voluntary Pet Insurance
- Voluntary New York's College Savings Program
- Vision Access Program
How To Apply:
Applicants (including current employees of other Cornell Cooperative Extension Associations other than Tompkins) must apply online through the APPLY button in this job posting. Current employees of the Cornell Cooperative Extension Association indicated in this job posting are considered internal applicants and must apply online through their Workday account which may be accessed here: http://workday.cornell.edu/
All applicants must submit a COVER LETTER (please reference the position you are applying for), a RESUME and indicate in your cover letter, resume or other document three individuals who may be contacted as REFERENCES.
Please consider indicating in your application all information you feel would be helpful for selection committee members to know. Once the application is submitted you will NOT be able to change your submission or add attachments. Be sure that you have followed all directions and requirements listed in the job posting.
The Association may make reasonable accommodations to enable applicants to participate in the hiring process and employees to perform the essential functions of their job. If you require an accommodation so you may participate in the selection process you are encouraged to contact Cornell Cooperative Extension Administrative Systems at (607) 255-2117, or via email at: email@example.com.
The successful candidate must pass criminal background, sex offender registry, and driver history checks.
Job Title:Association Prog Educator I
Pay Rate Type:Hourly
Contact Name:Krystal Watson
Number of Openings:1
Cornell Cooperative Extension is a collaboration among Cornell University, the United States Department of Agriculture, the State of New York, and the residents of New York State. Per NYS Law, county and regional extension service associations are subordinate government agencies. This employment opportunity is with the entities listed and not with Cornell University.
Cornell Cooperative Extension is an employer and educator recognized for valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities. Individuals who bring a diverse perspective and are support of diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.