| Company Overview:|
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 27th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2016, as well as Glassdoor’s annual Employees’ Choice Awards 2017. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
The laboratory investigates innate and adaptive immune responses to infection by microbes, with a particular focus on the role of the intestinal microbiota and the mucosal immune system in preventing infections by antibiotic-resistant bacterial pathogens. We study the role of specific commensal bacterial species in providing resistance against Vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus, highly antibiotic-resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae and Clostridium difficile. We have an immediate opening for a Research Technician to assist in immunology and infectious disease scientific research by utilizing molecular biology techniques, cellular and biochemical techniques, microbiology. This position will require animal handling and care as well as handling human fecal specimens and will involve culturing bacteria under anaerobic conditions.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Operating of lab equipment including autoclaves, centrifuges, voltage units, spectrophotometers, PCR thermocyclers, flowcytometer, etc
- Use aseptic and sterile techniques to make microbiological culture media and bacterial
- stock cultures
- Extraction of DNA from stool samples, PCR, DNA purification and quantitation
- Organized electronic record keeping of data generated from experiments
- Assist laboratory members in animal colony management, breeding mouse strains, harvesting and collecting organs for experiments
- BA/BS in Biological or Natural Science
- Zero to three (0-3) years of research experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to operate computers and associated software programs
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.