| Bucknell University seeks an experienced, talented and creative storyteller to join its Division of Communications as a Senior Writer. The Senior Writer will contribute to a highly collaborative team that implements the University's communications strategy across print and digital media. This award-winning team highlights Bucknell's strengths and value by telling authentic and compelling stories that inspire admissions, development, parent and alumni audiences. |
The Senior Writer will have a proven ability to cultivate sources, identify potential stories, conduct interviews and research, and write engaging, accurate copy. This role will be responsible for producing compelling, story-driven content that enhances the University's overall reputation. This full-time staff position reports to the Associate Director for Communications.
As a member of the Division of Communications, the Senior Writer must be a skilled and persuasive writer who can convey to multiple audiences the power of the University's residential, liberal-arts-based education to transform the lives of individuals and society. The individual in this role will have the experience and flexibility to be both creative and analytical in managing the various stages of projects, including concept and content development and measurement.
The ideal candidate will be a team player who is willing to share their own perspectives, learn from the perspectives of others, and contribute to an environment of diversity and inclusiveness.
Applicants must provide three writing samples published within the last three years. Finalists for the position will complete on-site writing and editing tests.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Cover a news beat by cultivating sources, identifying potential stories, conducting interviews and research, and writing engaging, accurate copy.
• Manage the various stages of projects, including concept and content development and measurement.
• Serve as an integral part of a communications team that works to fulfill high-level University goals and initiatives related, but not limited, to Bucknell's overarching communications strategy.
• As part of this close-knit editorial team, propose and pursue story leads and innovative ideas that support Bucknell's integrated communications approach.
• Forge relationships with students and faculty to identify and convey powerful stories that communicate clearly, honestly and effectively the value of a Bucknell education.
• Propose and pursue story leads and innovative ideas that support Bucknell's integrated communications approach.
• Serve as a liaison with academic and administrative departments in developing communications that promote their programs and align with Bucknell's external communications strategy.
• Ensure the accuracy of all facts and data used in copy.
• Commit to continued education and professional development in communications and higher ed.
• Contribute to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
• Perform other responsibilities as assigned.
• Bachelor's degree
• Five years of professional journalism and/or communications experience that includes published news writing.
• Demonstrated excellence in writing, grammar and editing skills, including experience with and knowledge of news, feature and web writing.
• Demonstrated ability to critically evaluate information and assess value while maintaining high journalistic standards of accuracy and integrity.
• Record of success in creating persuasive messaging across media.
• Demonstrated commitment to diversity, inclusiveness and the sharing of perspectives across differences.
• A curious mind and proven skills in creativity, analysis and problem-solving, and the ability to evaluate, synthesize and incorporate ideas and feedback from multiple stakeholders.
• Superb organizational and project-management skills.
• Ability to adapt to rapidly changing communications channels and work well independently.
• Bachelor's degree in journalism or other communications field
• Two years of experience in higher education
• Experience working in other media, such as video or social
In order to be considered for the position, all applicants are required to submit online a candidate profile, a letter of interest, a current resume, and a list of three references through the following site: http://careers.bucknell.edu Bucknell University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, veteran status or disability in admissions, employment and in all of its educational programs and activities.
Bucknell University believes that students learn best in a diverse, inclusive community and is therefore committed to academic excellence through diversity in its faculty, staff, and students. We seek candidates who are committed to Bucknell's efforts to create a climate that fosters the growth and development of a diverse student body, and we welcome applications from members of groups that have been historically underrepresented in higher education. Bucknell University is a private, highly ranked, national liberal arts institution that also offers strong professional programs in engineering, business, education, and music. Located in Central Pennsylvania along the Susquehanna River, Bucknell is nestled in the Borough of Lewisburg, an architectural gem that has been ranked as one of America's best small towns.
Bucknell is a NCAA Division I (FCS) and Patriot League member institution, that sponsors 27 varsity athletics programs.