Able to produce quality two dimensional ultrasounds images, Doppler flow analyses of heart, and related structures for use by Physician in diagnosis of heart disease. Actively participate in the variety of duties involved in the operation and maintenance of echo equipment following the standards set for the department by ICAEL, HFAP, and Infection Control. Consistently perform all of the echo exams according to protocols.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Check for previous studies and review key elements. Optimize instrument settings prior to starting study. Verify indication for exam and review order and understand physician's request.
- Review the order for type of study to be performed. Verify you have the correct patient using two identifiers with the paper requisition according to policy.
- Using two identifiers throughout the process; enter patient information into ultrasound system from patient list or manually. Enter demographics, height, weight, BP, sonographers' name, all other information as needed.
- Utilizes (AIDET) Acknowledge, Introduce, Duration, Explanation, Thank you, throughout the patient experience; explain the procedure to patient providing the length of time of the exam, prepare patient for diagnostic procedure, positioning patient, and while explaining what you are doing.
- Is able to perform a variety of adult echo procedures to obtain and record 2D, pulsed Doppler, M-mode, color flow, and spectral graphic representations of the heart to assist physician in the diagnosis of cardiac abnormalities.
- Understands why contrast is used and utilizes contrast to enhance the 2D imaging. Consistently adjusts proper setting of the scale, gain, filter, compress, and reject with CW & PW Doppler.
- Is able to identify life-threatening abnormalities and raise the concern to reading physician following the department policy.
- Is capable of providing additional imaging as needed to assist physician with diagnosis of cardiac disease.
- Keep current with Echo policies, like accurate documentation of patient and examination in log book, transferring patient studies to Cardio PACS, charging the exam in the hospital information system, and QC the report to be reviewed by the interpreting physician.
- Properly charges for exams in Meditech using the correct patient information and accession number.
- Consistently obtain accurate medical history from patients as well as obtaining prior reports and/or studies for the cardiologist's review.
- Consistently ensure that equipment is cleaned including transducers before and after examinations. Demonstrates the ability to follow department Infection Control policy when cleaning and sterilization of TEE probe and TEE Leak Test.
- In compliance with Holy Cross Hospital Attendance Standards and Dress Code Policy.
- Ability to work with physician leaders, peers, and customers assisting with any issues encountered.
- Other duties as assigned
Education and/or licensure requirements:
- Registered Diagnostic Cardiac Sonographer (RDCS) or Registered Cardiac Sonographer (RCS) perferred
- Compliant with PPD required
- Current CPR certification required
- One-year experience as an Echocardiography technologist preferred
- Graduate of an accredited echocardiography program with clinical sites minimum