What if you could spend more time with your patients, pursue education and growth and count on the support of a family of talented heathcare professionals? What if you could find it all in one of America's most beautiful locations? You can! Everything you're looking for is waiting at Longmont United Hospital in Longmont, Colorado.
Here you'll find that Planetree is a part of our culture and significantly influences our model of care. Our delivery of patient-centered care strives to educate and empower patients and families while humanizing and demystifying the health care experience. It's a philosophy that influences everything we do, from making architectural design decisions to providing ‘out of the box’ amenities and individual attention to patients and families.
If you're ready to put patients first and take your career to a higher level, you'll experience excellent benefits, stability and camaraderie in a supportive and stable environment.
Job Description/Job Posting ID: 101598
Clinic/Department: 7666 CLS LUH SPECIMEN MGMT
Hospital: Longmont United Hospital
The Phlebotomy Services Tech is responsible for collection and processing of blood samples and other specimens as defined by site. Provides a high level of customer service for lab inquiries, test requirements, and other laboratory information.
Minimum Education Requirements
- High School Diploma or GED required
- Completion of a phlebotomy program preferred
Minimum Experience Requirements
- 6 months Phlebotomy work experience preferred
- Phlebotomy certification preferred
Position Duties (essential functions denoted with an * )
- Maintains a safe and clean working environment.*
- Follows laboratory, hospital, and regulatory agency policies, procedures, and guidelines.*
- Performs venous, capillary, urine drug screen, swab collection or other specimen collection as defined by site.*
- Ensures quality collection of specimens including appropriate sample container, sample volume, collection, priority, and sample identification.*
- Provides accurate collection information to care givers and patients.*
- Resolves unusual test orders by following up with care giver, reference lab, pathology, referring to lab leadership when appropriate.*
- Consistently complies and reviews LIS reports to ensure all samples are collected and processed in appropriate time frame.*
- Ensures appropriate collections supplies are utilized, stocked and are within expiration date.*
- Actively participates in new associate and student training and orientation.*
- Participates in shift to shift communication to ensure continuity of laboratory operations and patient care.*
- May be required to participate in laboratory and/or hospital projects, teams, or committees.*
- Attends department, laboratory, and hospital meetings and forums.*
- Acknowledges receipt of blood in laboratory information system.*
- Receives specimens, assesses priority, assures appropriate specimen identification and appropriate specimen type. May include ordering and processing of hospital registered and outreach patients.*
- Centrifuges, aliquots, and distributes samples to appropriate testing area. May also include loading samples on to various analyzers as defined by site.*
- Prepares samples for off-site testing to include assessing appropriate sample type, container, and temperature.
- Completes relates paperwork and/or computer documentation.*
- Packages samples for courier transport of off-site testing locations.*
- Participates in detecting and documenting occurrences that deviate from defined procedures.*
- Acts as a steward of finances through appropriate uses of supplies, materials, and productive activities.*
- Adheres to assigned schedule while responding to work load demands and staffing needs by maintaining flexibility.*
- Recognizes and provides input for opportunities to improve supply management, lab workflow, and cost containment.*
- Responds to customer inquiries for laboratory results, test requirements, and other laboratory information.*
- Accesses patient test results and determines the status of patient testing using the laboratory information system as requested.*
- Consistently monitors Centura email account and provides timely response and actions when appropriate.*
- Maintains inter- and intra-department relations by appropriate communication, teamwork, and cooperation.*
- Handles and resolves customer complaints in a timely manner, referring when appropriate.*
- Handles biometric screenings for Centura Health Wellness Program. Screenings entail performing height, weight and blood pressure tasks.
- Light Work - exert/lift up to 20 lbs. force occasionally, and/or up to 10 lbs. frequently)
Important notification to applicants as of Nov. 20, 2014: Effective Jan. 1, 2015, Centura Health will no longer hire tobacco users in Colorado and Kansas. The change to our policy does not apply to associates hired on or before Dec. 31, 2014. Centura Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V.