To enter this classification, a basic foundation of knowledge and skills in applications programming and systems analysis and related programming support functions is a prerequisite. This foundation would normally be obtained through a bachelor’s degree, preferably in computer science or business, or equivalent training and applied experience. Foundation knowledge and skills for the Analyst/Programmer, depending on the position assignment, may include working knowledge of a specific industry standard applications programming language and knowledge of standard systems analysis techniques.
Specialized Skills Required:
A minimum of 5 years of professional experience in designing, developing, testing and installing software applications.
- Experience and knowledge in the design, development, and implementation of systems using one or more current industry standard programming languages and models such as .NET, XML, MVC, etc.
- Knowledge of structured programming techniques, and rapid application development life cycle.
- Experience and knowledge of Oracle PL/SQL, MS SQL, and relational database design.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of web site design and implementation of web driven database applications using HTML, XML, CSS, Web Scripting, and server side code.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to use one or more industry standard programming languages and various report/screen generators as required by the position.
- Ability to use applications software, data structures and utilities, operating systems, and communication interfaces within the computing environment.
- Ability to perform interactive debugging and to test and analyze program failures.
- Knowledge of structured programming techniques and the ability to use appropriate productivity tools to provide for more rapid development of applications.
- Ability to write/modify programs using multiple applications and databases.
- Ability to develop program implementation plans, install software, and apply fixes.
- Understanding of technical and vendor documentation and ability to maintain internal documentation.
- Knowledge of network configuration, programming, and protocols.
- Specialized skills in new systems and programming technologies.
- Knowledge of formal data structure design, relational database design, and file structure.
- Ability to design data structures to maximize efficiency and flexibility.
- Ability to perform database maintenance tasks, develop access routines, and maintain dictionary.
- Knowledge of data administration principles and data modeling concepts.
- Ability to identify and resolve software/hardware interface problems, data requirements, and access methods.
- Ability to establish and execute data security standards and procedures and disaster recovery plans.
- Knowledge of distributed processing and client/server technologies.
- Ability to perform database backup and recovery procedures as part of database management system utilities.
- Ability to use data resource and productivity tools applicable to the database management system.
- General knowledge of network configuration, programming, and protocols.
- Ability to provide database support in a multiple hardware platform and operating system environment.
- Ability to work and communicate with users to define and meet database needs and requirements.
Systems Analysis and Development
- Ability to use systems work flow and logic flowchart techniques.
- Knowledge of formal data flow analysis methodologies.
- Ability to apply and use operations analysis and structured design analysis techniques.
- Knowledge of campus-defined systems, applications, and standards.
- Ability to identify hardware/software interface problems.
- Knowledge of system/equipment capability, design restrictions, and security requirements.
- Knowledge of system development life cycle and structured systems development concepts.
- General knowledge of network connectivity, integration, configuration, and protocols.
- Understanding of and ability to integrate all systems including operating systems, applications, network, and databases, as well as knowledge of distributed processing technology.
- Knowledge of client/server technologies.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to apply consultative skills to assess user needs and communicate technology systems and solutions.
- Ability to perform systems and applications needs analysis, prepare requests for proposals, and conduct feasibility studies.
- Ability to use project management tools.
- Ability to research and evaluate the functionality of vendor software to meet user needs, assess vendor proposals, and serve as a technical/vendor liaison.