Director, Education and Meetings
AABB is an international, not-for-profit association representing individuals and institutions involved in the fields of transfusion medicine and cellular therapies. The association is committed to improving health through the development and delivery of standards, accreditation and educational programs that focus on optimizing patient and donor care and safety. AABB membership includes physicians, nurses, scientists, researchers, administrators, medical technologists and other health care providers. AABB members are located in more than 80 countries and AABB accredits institutions in over 50 countries.
AABB is recruiting for a Director, Education and Meetings to oversee all aspects of educational programming including content management and logistics. Ensure all educational programs are aligned with ACCME requirements. The Director will develop, foster and execute new ideas for growth including increasing revenue, increasing meeting attendance, meeting experience and design and maximizing technical and staff efficiencies.
Based in Bethesda, Maryland, this is a full-time, office-based position.
Overall Departmental Supervision and Administration:
- Develop and implement the departmental short and long-term strategic goals and implement the department’s long-term strategic plan. Prepare reports, attend and present at Board meetings as necessary.
- Oversee all of AABB’s educational activities, including the Annual Meeting and other conferences.
- Manage the day-to-day activities of key vendors: Confex (abstract management), Experient (registration and housing) and SPARGO (exhibit, sponsor and advertising sales and logistics).
- Prepare the departmental budget and approve all requests for the expenditure of funds.
- Respond to all Board and customer requests in a timely and professional manner.
- Maintain the Association’s status as an accredited provider of continuing medical education (CME) with ACCME (ideally achieving accreditation with commendation), continuing nursing education (CNE) and other continuing education unit (CEU) credits.
- Analyze and consolidate information on educational processes, trends, new information, and disseminate such to AABB senior management, standing AABB committees, and the AABB Board of Directors.
- Recommend and introduce cost effective, innovative and interactive meeting design concepts for adult learners, ensuring interactivity.
- Serve as staff liaison to the Annual Meeting Education Program Unit.
- Supervise staff members in the department, provide outstanding guidance and direction and manage any temporary staff at various on-site events.
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the department including weekly meetings with each direct report and team.
- Report into the VP on all activities of the department.
- Develop operational practices and timelines and ensure they are documented, accessible, regularly updated and maintained in SharePoint.
- Ensure that hotel, convention center and vendor contracts are negotiated and signed in a timely manner, are legally appropriate and meet the association’s requirements.
- Oversee the advance planning, on-site implementation and post-meeting tasks for the association’s Annual Meeting and Exhibits and national conferences.
- Collaborate with the marketing and communications department to proactively and successfully market all meetings and conferences, ensuring robust social media plans are in place to reach all audiences.
- Oversee Requests for Proposals (RFPs) for all outsourced activities (i.e. audiovisual production or registration services), perform comparative analyses and select the appropriate vendors.
- Ensure the association’s committee meetings are properly planned and implemented through communication with staff liaisons and meeting attendees.
- Ensure that committee staff liaisons have the necessary information to manage their roles and responsibilities.